• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Australia - Blue Mountains - Geewhizzit ?? (1 Viewer)

Chosun Juan

Given to Fly
Australia - Aboriginal
This has been nagging away at me for years - could someone please help me out with a positive id of this little geewhizzit :cat:

Geewhizzit_question-mark.JPG

NSW, Lower Blue Mountains escarpment top shrubland, dry open sclerophyll forest, November, late afternoon.

Needless to say, it rarely sat still. Very small (palm of your hand). In a low (<1.5m) shrub. Hunting around for insects etc .......

Many thanks :t:

Chosun :gh:

That's the conclusion I was left with too, but it's the most un-brown Brown Thornbill? I have ever seen - that back is greyer than most other pictures I have seen.

It was on the eastern side of the mountains - elevation ~ 300m.

??

A clear Brown Thornbill. Wrong area (closest eBird record is over 100km to the west of the Blue Mountains) and wrong coloration (particularly the forehead) for an Inland Thornbill, the only other one to confuse it with.

Strangely those records for Inland Thornbill are a long way west - I might have at least expected some around the Munghorn Gap region, and the Putty region.

I agree about the forehead cap colouration (mostly), but the very light olivey-grey back seems unusual, as does the amount of breast streaking, and would anyone comment on the large black band on the tail? (the tail seems to be held flat too at least in these photos)

Here are some more views of the same bird .....

Screenshot_2019-10-11-23-50-12-2.jpg Screenshot_2019-10-11-23-49-45-1.jpg Screenshot_2019-10-11-23-49-36-1.jpg

Any advance ??

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back