• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Aves Vox not available on android anymore? (1 Viewer)

israel

Having used Aves Vox on my 2 android phones, for a few years, the app no longer works on either.
I've reinstalled it a couple of times but to no avail.
Anybody else having problems?

Depending on what you are actually trying to do, this might help: A merlin app with an appropriate bird pack allows you to listen to a set of voice recordings of the birds from an area. You can use the same app to record audio.
Niels

I have tried via Google Play but no joy.
I meant that the Aves Vox version on Google Play hasn't been updated in 3½ years. That's why reinstalling it has made no difference. Xeno has presumably made some change that has broken the app's ability to connect - and the app developer has given up on it.
The other thing I quoted is a different app which appears intended to do a similar thing. Try that.

Depending on what you are actually trying to do, this might help: A merlin app with an appropriate bird pack allows you to listen to a set of voice recordings of the birds from an area. You can use the same app to record audio.
Niels
Unfortunately quite limited in many areas. For example lacks +/- all the sulawesi endemics.

I think aves vox has had an uneasy relationship with xeno canto. In the past it could download entire avifaunas with obvious implications for xeno canto's server load.

(Contrast xeno canto policy with Macaulay, from which nothing escapes !)

Works fine on my friends Iphone,. Android seems to be the problem.
If there is a problem, disappointed Aves Vox or Xeno Canto have not commented to that effect.

Just checked and the iPhone app is working OK for me too, although very slow - think that is my partner's wifi though, it's usually fine with 4/5G or my fibre connection...

I use the app 'Bird Call Xeno' which also allows you to save files for offline use, and I also have XC itself as a link on my home screen.

X C not working on my friends iPhone now. Their email address is no longer valid so looks like I'm stuffed. Pity, as I would have been more than happy to pay for the app. Other options are nowhere near as good.

Just tried XC again on the iPhone, back at my apartment with a fast fibre connection - the species search was working, but then it still wouldn't load the sound files.

I then clicked the 'settings' icon in the bottom left corner, selected 'data', and there was an 'update' button within Default resources under 'languages'. I clicked this to update and it seems to be working fine now. There was no indication elsewhere that the app needed updating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back