• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Babbler, Abu Dhabi? (1 Viewer)

ChinaBirds

Nick Sismey
Please advise if this is an Arabian Babbler?

Thanks in advance

Cheers
Nick

Attachments

• 2.ArabianBabbler.jpg
    2.ArabianBabbler.jpg
    273 KB · Views: 91
  • 3.ArabianBabbler.jpg
    3.ArabianBabbler.jpg
    290.1 KB · Views: 86
That looks a lot like a long billed reed warbler, with such a short primary projection and long bill! Im sure it isnt, as it'd be a western palearctic first and one of very few records anywhere in the world! Anybody else got any ideas?

There is at least one WP Acrocephalus that shows a short pp, a long thin bill, a long and rather rounded tail. Also the super is very indistinct especially behind the eye.

Clamorous Reed Warbler IMO.

Hi Nick, looks like a Clamorous Reed Warbler to me, checked that photo I showed you in my photobook and looks the same. Sounded like one too. Good afternoon birding, enjoyed your company! The contract was completed, ha ha! Safe trip home tonight. And look forward to seeing your list. F

Thanks all and thanks Frankie, much appreciated. I would never had put that one down as a Warbler, shows how much I know :t:

Cheers
Nick

It looks like a Clamorous Reed Warbler for me too...! But, what about the sibling species Indian Reed Warbler, Acrocephalus (stentoreus) brunnescens? It is considered like a different (sub)species in the updated MiddleEastern checklist by OSME (see: http://www.osme.org/orl/pass_v2.1.pdf) and it's said to breed from Arabia to central Asia and northern Indian Subcontinent; it's also said to be a migrant and it was claimed several times to be vagrant or migrant in the Middle East...

Anyone of you have the book "Reed and Bush Warblers" nearby? What do you think about its ID? Could be brunnescens be excluded by this photo?

Thans,
Igor Festari, Italy

Hello Igor,

I know nothing about the subspecific ID of Clamourous reed warbler but I do have 'Reed and Bush Warblers' to hand (what a truly excellent book by the way, don't hesitate to buy it!).

According to the distribution map, the CRW found in the Persian Gulf should belong to ssp brunnescens.
It is also said that brunnescens 'differs from western races by paler coloration and deeper bill with broader tip, giving them a rather Great reed Warbler-like appearance.' Indeed, there is a november adult from Oman depicted on the plate that could easily pass for a GRW (except for the weak super and short pp).

The subject bird doesn't really looks close to GRW but on the other hand the bill tip is quite thick and according to location, brunnescens is more likely.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back