• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HeatherMB

England
Hi all. 2 days ago I rescued a baby bird that was being savaged by a magpie. To my surprise it’s still alive but I don’t know what to feed it. Tried to release it in the garden but it just stood there, so I brought it back indoors. Doesn’t seem distressed and wings are undamaged, but I assume it’s still in shock?
I think it’s a dove but not sure. Any advice would be much appreciated please.
I live near Basildon in Essex

Attachments

• IMG_6382.jpeg
    IMG_6382.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6376.jpeg
    IMG_6376.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 4
Welcome to Birdforum.

We have guidelines on how to care for baby birds here.

I hope this helps.

Hi Heather and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. It's maybe a Collared Dove and looks like it is at fledging age. However, the parents will continue to feed it for a bit. In order to do that they eat seeds then make what is called 'pigeon milk' and regurgitate it into the youngsters mouth. This isn't something that you could do probably, so it would be best if you contacted a wildlife rescue centre to see if they can help.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

BTW a fledgling would normally sit still waiting for the parents to come and feed it, but they should be under cover of some bushes, or rather, on a branch. Trouble is the magpie is likely to resume the attack if he sees a vulnerable bird, he has his own brood to feed. It's all part of the natural world, but hard for us to see.

Hi, welcome to the forum. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back