• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Backyard birds, Southern Minnesota (1 Viewer)

GracieAllen

United States
I captured this bird near a feeder. It's small and has a beak like a grosbeak, but it's all brown. Doesn't look like any of the sparrows I usually see. I can't find anything like it in my online searches.

Attachments

• _A116193.jpg
    _A116193.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 15
  • _A116123.jpg
    _A116123.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 15
The immature ones start with move varied color on the belly, but if the spots fade this could certainly be one. The beak looks right. Thanks.

I'm leaning towards Brown-headed Cowbird.

Hi there Gracie and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like. ;)

Thanks. I'm a photographer, so I periodically end up with birds I can't identify. I'm good with cardinal and blue jay! And MAYBE goldfinch!

I've been looking for a bird identifier that runs on an actual COMPUTER since I don't take images of birds with a cell phone, and haven't found much, so I'll probably be back to rely on the skills y'all have!

Thanks. I'm a photographer, so I periodically end up with birds I can't identify. I'm good with cardinal and blue jay! And MAYBE goldfinch!

I've been looking for a bird identifier that runs on an actual COMPUTER since I don't take images of birds with a cell phone, and haven't found much, so I'll probably be back to rely on the skills y'all have!
You better ;)

You can use the Merlin Bird ID - 'Photo ID' function by simply aiming it at your computer screen and using that screen image for the id. Works very well most of the time.

Interesting idea. I never thought of taking a picture of the screen....

I put this bird on the screen. Captured it with the cell phone. Merlin says it's a crow. OR a vulture. I think it's a grackle. BUT, it did see the other bird as a brown headed cowbird.

Attachments

• 220726_9780.jpg
    220726_9780.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 22
Interesting idea. I never thought of taking a picture of the screen....

I put this bird on the screen. Captured it with the cell phone. Merlin says it's a crow. OR a vulture. I think it's a grackle. BUT, it did see the other bird as a brown headed cowbird.
I'm with you Gracie. I think it's a juvie Grackle.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back