• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Baird Sandpiper or Temminck Stint? (1 Viewer)

If it was a Baird's Sandpiper, it would be a vagrant in Poland, correct?

In pictures 20, 21, 27, and 29 you can see that the wingtips fall a little short of the tip of the tail. I believe this rules out Baird's, as on that bird the wingtips should project well beyond the tip of the tail. Having said what it's not, I am not familiar with European shorebirds, so I will leave it to others to say what it is.

The bird doesn't seem to have enough white on the outer tail for Temminck's, the supercillium, strength of the upperpart patterning, thickness and general shape of the bill look right for Bairds but, as RJP's said the tail looks too long for that species. Tenatively Bairds.
Chris

I see no problem of this being juvenile Temminck's Stint based on tail projectin behind the primaries. There's nothing odd in the plumage for Temminck's IMO.

Hi there,
This bird, in some images, does give a Baird's-like impression, but, like 'Makpe' above, who I presume has far greater experience than I do with Temminck's Stints, particularly juveniles in autumn, I also think that this is a juvenile Temminck's Stint.
The primary projection beyond the tertials isn't as long as one would expect on Baird's, and the tail projects beyond the wingstips, just as one would expect on a Temminck's Stint. As the bird appears to be a juvenile, and, as such, would not be in active primary moult, then this cannot be explained by the outer primaries still growing.
On a Baird's Sandpiper, there is often (usually/always?) a darker area rising up from the dark supraloral and cutting into the supercilium, which this bird appears to lack. Another pro-Temminck's feature is the fact that the legs appear to be covered in mud, except for the very upper parts of the tibia, and those appear yellowish.
Regards,
Harry

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back