• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Barn Owl At First Light (1 Viewer)

Bish

I got up today at 4.00am with the hope of spotting a Barn owl in a local meadow after failing last Sunday
As I walked to the location it was still dark & the dawn chorus was very loud

I reached the location at 5.00am & within 5 minutes there was the owl just visible in the half light working over the meadow dropping into the long grass occasionaly & catching prey once that I saw
I stood against a hedge & watched as it became more visible as the light increased
This continued for 20 minutes & at one point it landed on a fence post about 20 feet away briefly allowing me an excellent view

5.25am & it was quite light by now & the owl was off & the magic was over

This is one of those rare occasions where it all goes to plan!

Regards Bish. :D

Certainly is magical Bish.

Had the same experience in Norfolk last week but in the evening......watched it for 10 minutes hunting the field we were parked next to.

My first ever Owl let alone Barn Owl.

It really is a great feeling watching them.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back