• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Barn swallows - group behavior question (1 Viewer)

Clippyhed

I have been watching a nest of barn swallows on the eave of my porch. I can see them through a small window in my front door without disturbing them. It's been a little over 2 weeks, and a baby fledged today. We thought he was dead because he was so very still, & seemed to have plunged into the concrete. He isn't dead, but continues to be very still, & hasn't left the porch. The other 3 are still in the nest, looking around. They all still have a little bit of down on them.

All day, I have been intrigued by the behavior of about 5 or 6 adult barn swallows. They are all flying & swooping like crazy right around the porch. I haven't seen Mom or Dad offer any food, but they have stopped a few times to sit up by the nest & chatter. Are they trying to encourage the others to fledge? Is this a typical activity for a large group, encouraging fledglings? Could they be concerned about the one lying there (trying to keep predators away)?

This has been going on for hours & it's fascinating. I understand the parents flying around, but I can't find anything that would explain the involvement of the other birds. I'm pretty new to all this, so any insight is appreciated.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back