• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Barrow's Goldeneye expert needed, USA (2 Viewers)

TKbird

Hello,
I'm looking for a Barrow's Goldeneye expert to provide input on a possible hybrid. If you fit the bill and are interested, please send me a direct message.
Many thanks!
TKbird

Male or female hybrid? female is much more difficult!

But I agree with Butty , This forum works differently, so why not post some photos here? In general you have a good discussion here...

As I have some experience with hybrid waterfowl, and also this combination, some general advice that may already help:

In males look at scapular pattern , shape of white head spot. bill and head shape can help but not necessarily so, if you look at single photos.

Head gloss can be misleading ... Occasionally there are common goldeneye males with violet head gloss and Barrows with green head gloss ...
Here for example a common Goldeneye with violet head gloss:

Hybrids often show maroon head gloss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back