• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Battery grips for DSLR's. (1 Viewer)

kshea

Has anyone experimented to see if the addition of a battery grip to a DSLR increases stability and absorbs some of the vibration from mirror slap?

I tend to notice slight vibration showing up in images at shutter speeds under 1/250. I would also be interested to know if there is a reduction in vibration, does that decrease the effective time between images (since some of the vibration will carry over)?

My current setup is:
Canon 400D
Zeiss Diascope 85T FL/Zeiss Fotoadapter
Manfrotto 3130 head
Bogen 3221 tripod
Canon remote switch.

~K

Interesting question. I don't know about stability since I don't have one but I suspect it would. However, I would be concerned with the connection between your camera and eyepiece.

The extra weight would put a burden on the connection. If you use an adapter that does not connect to the lens, I would not be too concerned. If you use a device like a stepping ring, I would make sure it is sturdy enough and that it does not put too much stress on the lens or the eyepiece. I would also check to make sure all the elements are still in straight line.

Frankly I suspect your 3130 head is not suitable and could be the cause. You need one that will support a long slide bar for better balance and more weight like the 501 for the 82mm Zeiss and a dslr.

Nevertheless, may want to check your camera menus for an Exposure Delay setting. My new Nikon D90 has one that delays the shutter opening for 1 second after the mirror flips up.

cheers,
Rick

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back