• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Baumann's Olive-Greenbul (or ditto's Bulbul) (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
Here´s some additional info (partlly contradicting what´s usually claimed) on:

baumanni
● as in Baumann's Olive-Greenbul Phyllastrephus baumanni REICHENOW 1895 (i.e. June 1895, here) as "Phyllostrephus [sic] baumanni" a k a Baumann's Greenbul, or simply Baumann's Bulbul

Today's HBW Alive Key explains this Eponym as follows:
baumanni
Ernst Baumann (1865-1895) German botanist, entomologist, collector in Togoland 1893-1895 (syn. Eremomela pusilla, Phyllastrephus).
Compare with the (not always as reliable) The Eponym Dictionary of Birds 2014 (here) by Beolens et al; "Ernst Baumann (1863-1895) [ … ] He was sent to the German research station at Miss-Höhe, Togo (1892) and explored extensively there (1892-1895) … " … and so on. Also compare with The Eponym Dictionary of Amphibians 2013, (here), same authors, with an almost identical entry (but, of course, with focus switched) but different birth year; "Ernst Baumann (1865-1895)" and "Misa-Höhe". Or with Jobling's Dictionary of Scientific Bird Names 2010: "Eugen Baumann (1865–1895)" ... !?

I hope you all understand why I got a bit confused and suspicious? And curious … thereby I will stick my neck out, claiming:

= the young German naturalist (zoologist and botanist) Ernst Baumann (1871-1895), who worked at the "Misahöhe" (Misahohé,) research station (1893–1895), collector of various Naturalia (also of ethnographical items) during the same period, in the German Colony Togoland (far larger than today's Togo), in West Africa.

Born in 1871 in Brieg*… and on his return to Germany (to do his national military service, not "on leave" as have been claimed) he was stricken with Malaria (in Madrid, Spain), and he died in early September (on the 3rd, 4th or 5th, date varies), in 1895, in a Hospital in Cologne (Köln), Germany – at the age of 24!

See his entry, by Wilhelm Heß in Deutsche Biographie (here):
Baumann: Ernst Baumann wurde 1871 in Brieg geboren. Er studirte Naturwissenschaften und trat nach seiner Promotion 1893 in den Dienst der Colonialabtheilung des Auswärtigen Amtes. Er kam nach der Station Misahöhe in Togo und studirte dort mit großem Eifer die Fauna und Flora. Er brachte eine reichhaltige Sammlung zoologischer, botanischer und namentlich auch ethnographischer Gegenstände zusammen und machte sich um die Kartographie des Togolandes sehr verdient. Leider war es ihm nicht vergönnt mit der wissenschaftlichen Bearbeitung seiner ausgezeichneten Sammlungen über die Anfänge hinauszukommen. 1895 trat er, um seiner Militärpflicht zu genügen, seine Heimreise an. In Madrid erkrankte er an der Malaria. Nachdem er anscheinend wiederhergestellt war, reiste er weiter, wurde jedoch schon auf der Reise durch Frankreich wieder krank und mußte sich in Köln in das Hospital begeben, wo er am 4. September 1895 an Herzschwäche starb.
Anyone feel like helping me with a translation of this quote? My German is, to say the least, not very good ;)

Also see this short note, in Deutsches Kolonialblatt 1895 (here)

Don´t hesitate to prove me wrong!

Björn

PS. The same Ernst Baumann is also commemorated in:
● the invalid "Eromomela baumanni" REICHENOW 1894 (here)

PPS. Not to be confused with the Swiss botanist Eugen Baumann (1868–1933).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*Most likely "Brieg", (today's Brzeg, in in southwestern Poland), in the earlier Prussian Province of Silesia, from 1871 (Baumann's birth year!) part of the German Empire.

Disclaimer: there´s also a Brieg in Switzerland. And I´ve seen no details on which one, nor exactly when, on what dates, Baumann was born. But, in my mind, ending up in Cologne (Köln) in Northern Germany, on his way "home", indicates that he was aiming for the northern Brieg (Brzeg). Why would he go from Madrid to Cologne (when seriously ill) if he was going to Switzerland when drafted?

Translation:

Ernst Baumann was born in Brieg in 1871. He studied natural history science and started his service at the colonial department of the foreign ministry. He went to the Misahöhe station in Togo and studied there with great enthusiasm the local flora and fauna. He brought back a rich collection of zoological, botanical and ethnographical items and deserved as a cartographer of the Togoland. Unfortunately he was not able to earn more scientific honor of his collections than the one of his beginning. 1895 he went home to his country to fulfill his military service. In Madrid he got sick with Malaria. After he was somehow recovered he got again sick while travel through France and went for a hospital in Cologne, where he died 1895 by heard disease.

Phyllastrephus baumanni Reichenow, 1895 OD 3, 1895 - Ornithologische Monatsberichte - Biodiversity Heritage Library
(coll. Baumann)
Eremomela baumanni Reichenow, 1894 OD 2, 1894 - Ornithologische Monatsberichte - Biodiversity Heritage Library
coll. E. Baumann

Baumann’s Olive Greenbul Phyllastrephus baumanni Reichenow, 1895
Ernst Baumann (1863–1895) was a German ornithologist who started out training for a commercial career, but then switched to natural history and studied privately at the Zoological Museum, Berlin. He was sent to the German research station at Miss-Höhe, Togo (1892) and explored extensively there (1892–1895). He was on leave in Germany when he died from recurrent malaria. An amphibian is named after him.

Ernst Baumann (1871-1895) German colonial administrator, cartographer, botanist, entomologist, collector in Togoland 1893-1895 (Björn Bergenholtz in litt.) (syn. Eremomela pusilla, Phyllastrephus).

If Ernst Baumann correct Ernst Richard Reinhold Baumann . Probably from:
Daniela Baumann, Exkurs: Der Togoforscher Ernst Richard Reinhold Baumann (1871-1895), in Jürgen Runge, Republik Togo. Geographische Einblicke zwischen dem Golf von Guinea und der Sudanzone in Westafrika (Aachen: Shaker Verlag, 2013), 71.

Obituary here 3, 1895 - Ornithologische Monatsberichte - Biodiversity Heritage Library

I have no idea when he was born exactly or if the additional names are correct.

P.S. Hyperolius baumanni Ahl, 1931 OD (not seen) either p. 34 of
Ahl, E. 1931. Zur Systematik der afrikanischen Arten der Baumfroschgattung Hyperolius (Amph. Anur.). Mitteilungen aus dem Zoologischen Museum in Berlin 17: 1–132.
or
Ahl 1931. Das Tierreich 55 , p . 291 .
is the mentioned amphibian.

Last edited:
Ernst Richard Reinhold Baumann
Birth Date9. Februar 1871
Father's NameRobert Baumann
Mother's NameMaria Rademacher
Event TypeBaptism
Event Date19. Februar 1871
Event PlaceGrottkau, Ostpreußen, Preußen

the Kingdom of Prussia became part of the German Empire on 18 January 1871, therefore he was "born and bred" German (I guess conceived in Silesia, Prussia).

Grottkau is now Grodków a town in Brzeg County (German Brieg)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back