• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bay Area/Sac - Northern CA Dealer Suggestions (1 Viewer)

oldtimer88

United States
Looking to try out some binoculars as I make my way east towards Reno from the San Francisco Bay Area.

Does anyone have suggestions for places in Sac or East Bay? I want to stop at shops on the way to Reno that aren’t more than 45mins off the route via I80.

Additionally, open to any recommendations throughout central and northern California besides Wild Birds Unlimited in Novato, Leica in SF, and out of this world optics in Mendo.

Thanks in advance.

There’s a bass pro shop in Roseville with an optics counter and a huge Cabela’s with an optics counter just west of Reno. The sportsman’s warehouse in Fairfield also has an optics counter.

Appreciate that!

I was going to go to Scheels since they seemed to have a more dedicated optics staff/department vs bass pro.

My experience with big box retailers is they usually have vortex and the EL and NL in the store, with some showing Leica Noctivids.

Thank you

My experiences at all 3 of those stores have been pretty good. They will have the full vortex lineup, full Leupold lineup, some Swaro and Zeiss, some bushnell, some athlon, and occasionally some celestron/meopta/sig sauer.

Out of this World in Mendocino is supposedly good, but it’s not exactly on the way to Reno.

Camera West in Walnut Creek has a good selection of Leica optics, as does the SF Leica Store, obviously.

SF had an outstanding sports and astro optics in Scope City, but it closed about a decade ago. There is an Orion store in the South Bay but I’ve never been. It’s surprising a rich place like the Bay Area with plenty of well-off gearhead geeks couldn’t support camera and optics stores.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back