• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Behaviour while singing (1 Viewer)

All-knowing Idiot
Opus Editor
Poland
Can singing be inferred from a bird's behaviour when the song is not heard well enough or not appreciably different from the call or (possibly in some lesser-studied species) not known?

Case 1: A lone male House Sparrow repeating monotonous sounds from a sparse bush, with no conspecifics in sight.
Comment: I found a similar song on XC, so it was probably a song.

Case 2: A Yellowhammer perched atop a low tree.
Comment: It was only calling, from what I remember, so not a song.

Case 3: A Blue Tit perched atop a higher tree making sounds akin to the song but without the initial high whistles.
Comment: Either the initial notes were too quiet for me to hear or it was just an unusual call repeated over and over.

Case 4: A Greenfinch calling at regular intervals.
Comment: I've always logged it in as a call, but a Greenfinch's song may well include its call, and I think that on one occassion I heard the other buzzy elements of the song, which were much quieter than the calls accompanying them.

Any thoughts or ideas for a general rule, i.e. for a (song)bird on an exposed perch making repeated sounds? If not, then--more specifically--what do you think about constantly calling Greenfinches or how would you recognise whether a House Sparrow is singing or not?

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back