• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bernard O'Reilly (2 Viewers)

Taphrospilus

I know not a question for etymology but it fits in this section most.

Great Shearwater Ardenna gravis (O'Reilly, 1818) was named by Bernard O'Reilly OD Greenland, the adjacent seas, and the North-west Passage to the Pacific Ocean - Biodiversity Heritage Library

I found this publication about him https://www.jstor.org/stable/25538895
J. P. O'Connor: Bernard O'Reilly: Genius or Rogue?, The Irish Naturalists' Journal. Vol. 21, No. 9 (Jan., 1985), pp. 379-384

From the preview I do not know if his life dates are mentioned. If they are known where and when born/died?

I know not a question for etymology but it fits in this section most.

Great Shearwater Ardenna gravis (O'Reilly, 1818) was named by Bernard O'Reilly OD Greenland, the adjacent seas, and the North-west Passage to the Pacific Ocean - Biodiversity Heritage Library

I found this publication about him https://www.jstor.org/stable/25538895

From the preview I do not know if his life dates are mentioned. If they are known where and when born/died?
The paper suggests he probably died "shortly after 1818".

O'Connor's Paper (1985) incl. nothing re. the Birth of O'Reilly, nor anything (exact) about his Death, ending up with the phrases (on p.383):
I have been unable so far to discover further details concerning him. If anyone can provide additional information, I would be delighted to hear of it.

Good luck finding the full story of O'Reilly!

Last edited:
According to this O'Reilly was found dead (possibly by suicide) in a rented room above a London Pub in 1827. This was The Queens Head in Charlotte St in Southwark. Death records indicate he was estimated at 50 at the time of his death on 7 Aug 1827. He was buried on 10 Aug. 1827 in Christ Church, Southwark, Southwark, England.

Thus Bernard O'Reilly (1776-1827) This is corroborated by The Times for 11 Aug 1827.

He was 16 Stone or 100kgs.

Baptised 18 Apr. 1776 Dublin, Ireland. Some possible other facts

Was in 18th Foot in 1810.
was in Canada where he had at least 1 child! Spent time throughout Asia and the Pacific after his expulsion from The Irish establishment.

1693447126640.png1693447150862.png

Last edited:
Just received a new publication about him inspired by this thread

O'Connor, J.P. (2023) Update on the Irish naturalist, author and explorer Bernard O’Reilly (1776-1827). Irish Naturalists’ Journal 40: 100-107.

That's interesting thanks.

The name just makes me wonder if he was any relation to the O'Reilly's of the Rainforest Retreat in Queensland?

On 27 February 1937 a Bernard O'Reilly found a crashed Stinson aircraft after searching in the rainforest, it had been missing since the 19 February. There were only 2 survivors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back