• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best California whale watching trip for pelagics? (1 Viewer)

ignicapilla

Romania
Hello, can anyone recommend a good whale-watching trip for pelagics please? I find trips dedicated to pelagics are a little too expensive and mostly booked already (I am looking for a trip which isn't booked for september this year). I am looking for something under 100$ per person. Thanks!

What part of CA? It’s a big place and it’ll cost you more to drive from San Diego to San Fran than it would to just pay for a pelagic.

What part of CA? It’s a big place and it’ll cost you more to drive from San Diego to San Fran than it would to just pay for a pelagic.
I will be driving from Los Angeles to San Francisco and possibly a little further north and stopping on the way, so anywhere in between. Sorry, forgot to specify.

The Monterrey Bay whale watches (I have gone out of Moss Landing 10+ yrs ago, not sure who the best operator / boat is now) are generally quite good… September is a good season as well.

I would check Alvaro’s Adventures for availability. Alvaro is a class act and his trips are invariably enjoyable and very productive. I would suggest they are worth the price premium but of course that is my opinion based on my criteria.

I am sure there are people from CA who will be more up to date and / or chime in, hopefully others chime in.

The Monterrey Bay whale watches (I have gone out of Moss Landing 10+ yrs ago, not sure who the best operator / boat is now) are generally quite good… September is a good season as well.

I would check Alvaro’s Adventures for availability. Alvaro is a class act and his trips are invariably enjoyable and very productive. I would suggest they are worth the price premium but of course that is my opinion based on my criteria.

I am sure there are people from CA who will be more up to date and / or chime in, hopefully others chime in.
Thanks for your suggestions, I'll look into that!

There are good watches out of San Francisco as well, and Blue Whale is reliable in summer. I think the company I used once operates out of the famous San Francisco wharf area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back