• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best site for Spanish Imperial Eagle in the Madrid area (1 Viewer)

Waxwings

I will be visiting the Madrid area in early April. I understand that El Pardo and Chapinería (ZEPA information centre) are both potential sites for Spanish Imperial Eagle. Any thoughts on which would be the best to visit? Or is there an even better site in the area?

In April 2017 I tried Chapineria on a couple of mornings from the roof-top viewing area of the Centro de Educacion Ambiental El Aguila without luck but there is an interesting walk from there and plenty of vultures to see. The staff there suggested the road west from there and beyond Navas del Rey; but again I had no luck.

I was eventually successful driving into the nearby village of Valdemaqueda - the signs around the village make a big deal about the eagle!

Last edited:
There are several places not far from Madrid where it should be not very difficult to find it: just to say a few the Dehesa Boyal near San Sebastián de los Reyes, the Dehesa de Sacedón and Camino de la Zarzuela (both between Sevilla la Nueva and Villaviciosa de Odón, along Guadarrama river). Farther away you have the path climbing to Navahonda Hermitage near Colmenar del Arroyo, the dirt track for cars along the east side of San Juan reservoir, or along the road and tracks going from Fresno de Torote to Ribatejada, as well Puente Mocha at Valdemaqueda (by river Cofio) and around Chapinería (for instance, the dirt track starting between Chapinería and Navas del Rey along a small creek), both already mentioned.

Explore for example eBird for the species, using the "Large" map and ticking the "Show points sooner" box

I have not suggested going to El Pardo as a first option because, although being the stronghold for the species at Madrid, you cannot enter inside it, so you can just go to outside the perimeter and look from some vantage point. The only one that you can find easily -Mingorrubio, at the southern end- uses to be a little crowded. But if you don't have enough time or a car, it is still a very good choice going straight to Mingorrubio or perhaps walking along the "Corredor de Somontes" from Somontes to Mingorrubio and the dam of El Pardo reservoir.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back