• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Southern Spain/Portugal, early October - Best places to spot the Spanish Imperial Eagle? (1 Viewer)

Shumi

Ukraine
Dear All, I will be spending two weeks in Southern Spain and Portugal in late September/early October. I plan to do some casual birding on selected days, and Spanish Imperial Eagle and Bonelli's Eagle are two big targets. Ideally I would spot both birds on my own, but if hiring a local guide is a strong recommendation I would do so.

My key question is - what are the best locations to look for these two eagles? I understand that Bonelli's might be a somewhat easier target and Sagres point is a good location. Is that correct or are there any commens?

And what about the Spanish Imperial? I understand that Sierra de Andujar is a good location, but it is just a bit too far away from where we will be travelling. Is Parque Nacional de Donana a good spot? And if yes, any specific location inside this Donana Park?

I would greatly appreciate your kind advice. And, again, if hiring a local guide is something you would strongly recommend - pls kindly let me know (and in that case perhaps you could recommend some individual guides)?

Thanks!

Dear All, I will be spending two weeks in Southern Spain and Portugal in late September/early October. I plan to do some casual birding on selected days, and Spanish Imperial Eagle and Bonelli's Eagle are two big targets. Ideally I would spot both birds on my own, but if hiring a local guide is a strong recommendation I would do so.

My key question is - what are the best locations to look for these two eagles? I understand that Bonelli's might be a somewhat easier target and Sagres point is a good location. Is that correct or are there any commens?

And what about the Spanish Imperial? I understand that Sierra de Andujar is a good location, but it is just a bit too far away from where we will be travelling. Is Parque Nacional de Donana a good spot? And if yes, any specific location inside this Donana Park?

I would greatly appreciate your kind advice. And, again, if hiring a local guide is something you would strongly recommend - pls kindly let me know (and in that case perhaps you could recommend some individual guides)?

Thanks!
Hi, I assume your trip is over, and it looks like there were no people providing any input. I wonder whether you found your target species anyway? I sure hope you did. I would have suggested Monfragüe NP, but I only just accidentally discovered your thread today. At the time you posted it, my focus was a very different one.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back