• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

BGA 7x36 experiences (1 Viewer)

lmans66

Out Birding....
Supporter
United States
Just returned from a 9 day US National Park car trip....and took along a recently purchased (from a BF member) BGA 7x36.... I have to say that both my wife and I were very impressed. While obviously not the sharpest around, for a travel pair as we used it....they performed excellently. I loved the ease of focus....the compactness, the ergonomics etc. I had no issue holding these for a hike or wrapping them around my neck (weight wise). I never lost the ID of a bird as well...

Opticron has discontinued these, but wow I was impressed and thoroughly enjoyed the 9 day experience. Opticron for me, has been a winner as I used to have a pair of Travelers which I sold to purchase some 8x32 Veranos' which I now use down in Australia.... and I know the 8x42 Aurora's are considered to be gems. Not to sound like a paid promoter for Opticron but if anyone is in the market for a reliable pair, give this company a shot. These BGA's are keepers as well as my travel pair of Verano's. Opticron has filled my slot for traveling light, compact.... and yet provide overall quality that is hard to beat for the money.

Just returned from a 9 day US National Park car trip....and took along a recently purchased (from a BF member) BGA 7x36.... I have to say that both my wife and I were very impressed. While obviously not the sharpest around, for a travel pair as we used it....they performed excellently. I loved the ease of focus....the compactness, the ergonomics etc. I had no issue holding these for a hike or wrapping them around my neck (weight wise). I never lost the ID of a bird as well...

Opticron has discontinued these, but wow I was impressed and thoroughly enjoyed the 9 day experience. Opticron for me, has been a winner as I used to have a pair of Travelers which I sold to purchase some 8x32 Veranos' which I now use down in Australia.... and I know the 8x42 Aurora's are considered to be gems. Not to sound like a paid promoter for Opticron but if anyone is in the market for a reliable pair, give this company a shot. These BGA's are keepers as well as my travel pair of Verano's. Opticron has filled my slot for traveling light, compact.... and yet provide overall quality that is hard to beat for the money.
I would really like Opticron to produce a Aurora Class 7x36. A BGA 7x36 with all the upgrades and having the internal elements of their top dog Aurora, now that would be a binocular I would definitely buy !

I would really like Opticron to produce a Aurora Class 7x36. A BGA 7x36 with all the upgrades and having the internal elements of their top dog Aurora, now that would be a binocular I would definitely buy !
That would get me straight down to the optics shop for a trial. I use the BGA 7x36 around the house for garden birds and fly-over raptors. Nice little bins.
An upgraded version should be great 👍

Agreed...an upgrade of the BGA in the Aurora class would be a winner. It would place Opticron in a class no one else has, if done right.... The Leica Retro is a great bin, but lack of near focus is the bugger there, otherwise a lovely pair. Will Opticron meet that challenge?

Agreed...an upgrade of the BGA in the Aurora class would be a winner. It would place Opticron in a class no one else has, if done right.... The Leica Retro is a great bin, but lack of near focus is the bugger there, otherwise a lovely pair. Will Opticron meet that challenge?
Having a Aurora 7x36 being waterproof, the Leica Retro is not.

I would like to see a new Opticron BGA 7x36 with the same sharpness of the Retro...but waterproof...and the same coatings and design of the original BGA. That would be a winner and I would be willing to go upwards of $1000 like the 8x42 Aurora for it...it would be well worth it and capture most of what the big boys have to offer.

So how about it Pete Gamby......? ??? Can you convince them over there across the pond that need and a desire would place Opticron just where it wants to be as they build upon that excellent Aurora design/tech/ergo but in a 7x36? Jim

Opticron ALWAYS punch way above their weight..... they don't get the credit they deserve.

I think Opticron and Meopta (not sure about the direction Meopta will go in now though), are the sleepers in the crowd. Great bins....quality for the money. They never have wanted to compete with the Alpha's although right now with Opticron's Aurora (even Verano 8x32's) and the Meostars, they come close. Yes, they don't get the credit....Jim

Right now deciding on where to put our investment in the development of any new product is difficult. Our main market is the UK and thanks to a number of macro economic factors, sales of discretionary spend items including binoculars are suppressed in that market.

In my personal opinion, and most certainly not the company's official line, I think a 7x36 or 6.5x32 Aurora could indeed be a triumph - 9+ degree FOV, close focus under 2 metres, eye relief 20mm+, field flattener, hydrophobic coatings, new 'easy access' case, funky new zero carbon neckstraps etc. What's not to like :cool:

But in reality we have to run the business for the long term through good times and bad times. And 7x class binoculars are definitely a category to be looked at in the good times.

Totally understandable Pete...I hope things turn around as Opticron would shine ...:) ...enjoy the day. Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back