• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bib size in Great Tits (1 Viewer)

Lordmark

United Kingdom
Has any one noticed dominate behavior relating the bib size of Great Tits.
The bib size varies massively from a single black stripe to a bib and under side completely black.
I'm lucky to have a private family woodland where I feed the birds.
I have noticed some dominance by Great Tits with a large bib size.
I would be interested in your finding and comments
Lordmark

Has any one noticed dominate behavior relating the bib size of Great Tits.
The bib size varies massively from a single black stripe to a bib and under side completely black.
I'm lucky to have a private family woodland where I feed the birds.
I have noticed some dominance by Great Tits with a large bib size.
I would be interested in your finding and comments
Lordmark
Yes, this is a well known and researched plumage feature, particularly amongst males. Same as in House Sparrows and countless other species. The larger the bib, the more dominant the male and / or more chance of finding a mate. Females are usually restricted to the thinner black line and paler tones. Similar with the blue marks on Blue Tits.

Yes, this is a well known and researched plumage feature, particularly amongst males. Same as in House Sparrows and countless other species. The larger the bib, the more dominant the male and / or more chance of finding a mate. Females are usually restricted to the thinner black line and paler tones. Similar with the blue marks on Blue Tits.
Thanks for this info. I did ask my contacts in the BTO but that was back in 2015 after this I was taken very ill and only returned to this project in 2021

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back