• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Big Bird in the tree in my front yard 2/17/14 (1 Viewer)

OMG! I missed it! I bird about 4 times bigger than a blue jay- Hawkish sized - landed in a low branch in my front yard! As I was relaxing in my recliner, I happened to noticed movement out of the corner of my eye. I moved the blinds a bit more and there it was. The biggest bird that I have seen this season. It had a white underside and a rust color on its neck, but instead of looking for more details without my glasses, I quickly got up and got my glasses. Did I scare it? NO! So, I decided to get my binoculars which are 10 x 25 (not good) to see more detail to figure out if it was a hawk or if it could possible be the Eagle that we saw fly overhead a couple of weeks ago. I run to the other room and put the binoculars to my eyes looking out a different window and it was like a monocular - no view and I thought what in the hell is wrong with these things. Took them from my eyes and saw that in my haste and excitement I had them BACKWARDS! I FLIPPED THEM AROUND LOOKED AT THE TREE and it was gone. I feel something I haven't quite felt before - maybe a little heart broken over not seeing the bird. I am thinking I may be hooked on this new hobby of mine - birding. I am mad that I had my binoculars backwards! I was so excited that this big bird landed in the only tree in my front yard that is probably less than 50 feet from my window. I guess I need to keep my glasses, my binoculars, and my camera around my neck all the time! Now that I am older, my vision is really annoying me. Like I am both near sighted and far sighted. I tried bifocals and I got nauseas, so I quickly opted for normal glasses. Not good for anything up close, but works for distance. I was hoping to see the pileated woodpecker again today, but this bird was bigger than that. So now, from my front yard, I am on a hunt for two birds. I hope they stay in the neighborhood a while and I see them again for a positive ID. The adventures of birding seem to never cease.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back