• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Bird call on the Scottish moors (a merlin?) (1 Viewer)

curlewsandpiper1980

I posted this on the Bird ID QA forum, but I could not get an ID, so because this call sound was recorded in the Scottish moors, I am trying my luck here.
(Sorry if I posting this is against the rules for the Scotland forum)

This was recorded in the moors in upland Findhorn valley, located in northeast Scotland, southeast from Inverness.

I heard this unknown bird making a quick 2 second squeezing call every minute or so, for a few minutes. My first guess was a grouse or partridge as I was in an area with them, but then I started thinking could this be a merlin or some other bird of prey?

The recording is here https://youtu.be/t_5yRgA7-bk

davercox

Dave Cox
Supporter
Certainly sounds like a falcon, but I'm not familiar with Merlin calls. Have you tried listening on xeno-canto.org ?

curlewsandpiper1980

Yes, I am pretty confident it is a merlin, after hearing many recordings on xeno-canto.

Habitat was that of a merlin. It was upland heath, along a river valley, with patches of open meadow and some trees too. Plenty of meadow pipits in the area. Also plenty of partridges in the area, but I am not sure if they hunt those.

Users who are viewing this thread