• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird caught in sheperd's hook (1 Viewer)

Steph27

I hope I am posting this question in the right place. I just joined this forum because I have a concern that I would like some feedback on. I started feeding birds this spring and quickly became obsessed. I've been trying out all different kinds of seed and feeders. However, I recently had a disturbing experience. A couple days ago I looked out my window and saw a bird caught in my sheperd's hook. I have two double sheperd's hooks by my porch holding my bird feeders and a poor little bird got his leg caught in the little gap in the middle of the feeder where the two hooks meet. He was hanging upside down by his leg. I grabbed a hand towel and gently lifted him up with the towel. As soon as his weight was off of his leg he was able to get it free and fly away. It didn't seem like his leg was broken or injured but I'm not sure, he flew away so fast. Anyway, I'd like to know if anyone has seen or heard of this happening. I think it must have been a freak accident but I'm still worried about it happening again. The thought of a poor little bird getting hurt literally made me sick to my stomach. Not sure if I should get a new hook, or maybe just use some type of caulk or glue to fill in the little gap. I tried searching online but only found one blog where a person had this same thing happen. Has anyone else every had this happen or heard of it? Please let me know what you think.

Hi Steph and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I think this is a bit of a freaky accident, but certainly not unknown. I remember seeing an animal rescue programme a few years ago where a squirrel had a leg caught.

You probably have two options; fill/block the gap, or replace the feeder. Also it might be an idea to let the supplier/manufacturer know, in the hopes that they can redesign this feeder.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back