• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird ID Help, NE USA (1 Viewer)

lucidtim68

I'm brand new to bird watching. So I apologize in advance for lack of detail/knowledge.

In North central NY, USA. Old growth forest with a river bordering.
April 12,2014. Temp about 40F

I was on a walk this morning and saw a smallish duck(mallard) sized bird. At first I thought it was a duck with a mate and a third solo, but then it perched in a tree. It had a loud call, and seemed shy around humans. Looking into sunlight it seemed dark gray or light black with a longish neck for a duck. The beak was more pointed than a duck bill. Flew away towards the river/pond area.

Later in my walk I was at a pond. A similar looking duck, gray(dark gray?) with back and white stripes on it's back, the three flew out of site as soon as I saw them.

Sizing is larger than a american crow but smaller than a mallard.

Any Ideas what this was?
Thanks,
Tim

Can you describe the call? My first thought is a heron, perhaps Black-Crowned Night Heron. They make a sort of barking squawk.

The call was loud, sharp. I would say a shrill squeak. In a series of three. Higher toned and louder than a crow. I've seen Heron's(not heard), but the neck was not that long.

I have an Audubon Society Field Guide For NA, following the guide it seemed like an upright perching bird like the Black Guillemot or a small Cormorant but fits neither due to color. The white/black(dark gray?) was on the body for sure, didn't notice white on the wing.

http://identify.whatbird.com/obj/878/_/Black_Guillemot.aspx#history
the call of this bird is similar, seemed like an alarm call though.

I was curious as I've been to this forest many times and never seen it before.

Tim

Wilson's Snipe? Their backs are striped and they match the call you describe. Skittish birds, seldom seem. The beak is very long, though, I don't know if that's a match.

Black-crowned Night-Herons are not particularly long-necked, in fact if they have their head drawn back they look like they have no neck at all.

Take a look at a picture here.

You can listen to one of their calls here.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back