• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird ID Needed Scotland, Raven or something larger. (1 Viewer)

Baldoon57

Scotland
I was thinking this might be a raven but it looks larger, pictures were distant and poor quality, any help appreciated.

Attachments

• Resize_20230118_225056_6549.jpg
    Resize_20230118_225056_6549.jpg
    365.5 KB · Views: 117
  • Resize_20230118_225248_8860.jpg
    Resize_20230118_225248_8860.jpg
    308.5 KB · Views: 117
  • Resize_20230118_225131_1425.jpg
    Resize_20230118_225131_1425.jpg
    309.8 KB · Views: 117
Are they all the same bird? The first one with the diamond tail is certainly a raven (49), but the others look different to me, perhaps a hawk. This might just be lighting effects though

(Edit: I don't read that title properly. If there is a second bird it'd be a buzzard)

Are they all the same bird? The first one with the diamond tail is certainly a raven (49), but the others look different to me, perhaps a hawk. This might just be lighting effects though

(Edit: I don't read that title properly. If there is a second bird it'd be a buzzard)
I'm sure there was only one bird and pictures were almost into the light and as you say most likely a raven.

might be a raven but it looks larger
Judging the size of a lone bird is notoriously unreliable.
1. I don't see any option other than a corvid. I don't feel this can safely be said certainly to have a wedge-shaped tail, even though the photo is fairly consistent with that, and the wing-shape (relatively narrow and long wings with outer wing looking narrower) is also strongly suggestive of raven.
2-3. Couldn't make any ID from these, and (assuming they're the same bird) I don't think they add to pic 1.
I'd be pretty happy it's a raven - certainly not 'something larger'.

I noticed these are labeled as resize. It would be better to make a crop of them to show the bird with more pixels.
Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back