• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird ID? (1 Viewer)

Matt6107

United States
Hey guys it’s my first time posting here and was hoping somebody could help. My sister came home today with this little guy. She said she found him on the streets and was scared it wouldn’t make it on its own out there. We went back to the spot and couldn’t find any nest so we plan on taking care of it. Please any advice would help. Even if it seems like an obvious topic, please state it since it’s our first time taking care of a bird

Attachments

• B29BF230-F075-4747-B168-72DD7C170997.jpeg
    B29BF230-F075-4747-B168-72DD7C170997.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 33
  • 8047683A-4673-4F49-A426-F951551C58C5.jpeg
    8047683A-4673-4F49-A426-F951551C58C5.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 33
  • 3E0B191E-19C1-46CA-B14A-AE911269762F.jpeg
    3E0B191E-19C1-46CA-B14A-AE911269762F.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 34
if you include where in the world the bird was found, it would narrow down identification a lot

it appears to be a fledglings, so the best course of action would be to take it back to where it was found and observe from a distance to see if the parents return. fledglings are fine out of the nest if parents are around. if you don't see any parents, the next best thing to do would probably be to take it to a local wildlife rehab center. they have the resources and know-how to take care of a wild animal

best of luck!

if you include where in the world the bird was found, it would narrow down identification a lot

it appears to be a fledglings, so the best course of action would be to take it back to where it was found and observe from a distance to see if the parents return. fledglings are fine out of the nest if parents are around. if you don't see any parents, the next best thing to do would probably be to take it to a local wildlife rehab center. they have the resources and know-how to take care of a wild animal

best of luck!
Thanks for the info. It was found in NY (Astoria) I wouldn’t be able to get it to a rehab center for a few days since I’m tight on time. How often and what can I feed it until then?

Thanks for the info. It was found in NY (Astoria) I wouldn’t be able to get it to a rehab center for a few days since I’m tight on time. How often and what can I feed it until then?
since the bird appears to be a fledgling, you can probably try feeding it seeds or insects such as mealworms
it's hard to know what exactly it would eat regularly without a proper ID of the bird, but if you present it a few options that might work

online sources say that feeding should happen approximately every 20 minutes during the day, so they do need a lot of attention!! which is why it's best to bring it to a licensed rehabber asap

since the bird appears to be a fledgling, you can probably try feeding it seeds or insects such as mealworms
it's hard to know what exactly it would eat regularly without a proper ID of the bird, but if you present it a few options that might work

online sources say that feeding should happen approximately every 20 minutes during the day, so they do need a lot of attention!! which is why it's best to bring it to a licensed rehabber asap
What about at night? Also how do I approach actually feeding it?

Hi Matt and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. We have some general guidelines here for the care of injured and baby birds. I hope this helps you.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

What about at night? Also how do I approach actually feeding it?
Different species have different dietary requirements and may have a pretty low survival rate when cared for by humans. Seeds and insects may well be too hard for it to eat (or not). This is a site about feeding baby House Sparrows (this one is not a House Sparrow, though): Rehabber's Den | The House Sparrow Passer domesticus - Nesting, Orphan Care and Rehabilitation, but the suggestion of feeding it boiled rice seems sensible to me. But, then, I don't know, never tried taking care of a bird myself.

As you see, I'm trying hard to scare you a bit, which is because it would really be the best solution to hand it over to a professional facility if only possible. Don't the organisations reach out to people? They do in here, so I think there's no reason they wouldn't in the US. Please also check out this seemingly excellent ID resource for ID'ing American fledglings: https://sites.tufts.edu/babybirds/ (it may hard to tell from the photos, unfortunately, even if I had the required experience myself).

EDIT: Off the top of my head, really, but is it a European Starling |? If indeed so, I hope this helps: Baby Starling Care: precise information on caring for wild baby birds. Still, more photos would help a great deal. Recording its call (in .wav format if possible) could also be useful. The gape does seem more yellow when you fiddle with colour saturation:

Attachments

• 8047683A-4673-4F49-A426-F951551C58C5.jpg
    8047683A-4673-4F49-A426-F951551C58C5.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 4
  • 3E0B191E-19C1-46CA-B14A-AE911269762F.jpg
    3E0B191E-19C1-46CA-B14A-AE911269762F.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 4
  • B29BF230-F075-4747-B168-72DD7C170997.jpg
    B29BF230-F075-4747-B168-72DD7C170997.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread