• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird Identification (1 Viewer)

RussBway

United States
Hello,
Attached are three birds spotted around my yard in Lakewood, Colorado. The top two images are the same bird, as are the middle two, and bottom two.
I thought maybe that the top bird was a Cooper's Hawk (October 2017)
Middle bird was from July 2016, and bottom from June 2017
I could use some help with identification, thanks!

Attachments

• Hawks.jpg
    Hawks.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 48
Hola RussBway! A warm welcome to Birdforum from all the staff and moderators (y)

If you don't get answers on this thread, maybe you should post a thread in our "Bird Identification Q&A" subforum here:

Hi Russ and a warm welcome from me too. I decided to just move your post to the ID forum, as you're more likely to get responses there.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Top row is two separate birds, left looks better for Sharp-shinned Hawk imho and right Cooper's. Note difference in cheek colour (rufous in left, grey in right), broader white barring on flanks of left than right, bill size, lack of "brow" over the eye in the left bird etc. that all point to separate individuals.

Bigger bill, "fierce" brow, contrastingly darker cap of Cooper's on evident right-hand bird and lacking on the Sharpie.

Rest are Swainson's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back