• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird of prey eating a pigeon (1 Viewer)

ramalama

United Kingdom
Hi there!
I witnessed a bird of prey eating a pigeon my lawn today (Ickenham, Middlesex).
Any ideas what that bird might be? He was going for it for 2 hours! I went out there and he stood still and then dragged the pigeon, but there did not fly away in fear. In the video you can see him spread his wings a bit and drag the pigeon up a little on the soil. When I went out a few minutes ago to check, there is not much left of the pigeon body, and it is in the middle of the lawn.
Thanks!
Ryan

The video is a small image but the bop is an accipiter species, most likely a Sparrowhawk. They "mantle" over the prey, then pluck before consuming..... sometimes flying off with the body to a favoured plucking post. Quite bold in urban neighbourhoods.

The video is a small image but the bop is an accipiter species, most likely a Sparrowhawk. They "mantle" over the prey, then pluck before consuming..... sometimes flying off with the body to a favoured plucking post. Quite bold in urban neighbourhoods.
Thank you for the extra information Pat - I did see him plucking feathers from the pigeon. He returned a few hours later to continue eating, although there didn't seem much left!

Hi ramalama and a warm welcome from me too. Yes, I agree with the others, it is a Eurasian Sparrowhawk. Always a good sight really, as it means there is a good population of garden birds in your area.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back