• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird of Prey - Middleback Ranges, South Australia (1 Viewer)

KKDoomed

Australia
Hi all,

I've just joined, looking to get an ID on a bird caught on a pic taken from our drone at work. The boys in the team have said it is a Wedge-tailed Eagle but I'm 99% sure it is not, but can't tell what it is. I think it looks more like a black breasted buzzard.

Thoughts?

WEDGIE_CAUGHT_ON_CAMERA_crop.JPG

I think this is a young whistling kite.

Wedge-tailed eagle head a very clearly diamond-shaped tail

Black-breasted buzzard/kite has white panel near the top of its wings with black primaries

Black kite has a concave tail

Here, we can see some indication of whistling kite's pale inner primary wedges

Not a whistling kite - young birds show heavily spotted upperparts and have an unbarred tail, without the subterminal band and pale tip we see here.

Not a whistling kite - young birds show heavily spotted upperparts and have an unbarred tail, without the subterminal band and pale tip we see here.
Yes you're correct. I tried to edit my post to reflect but it didn't take. Anyways, not wedge-tailed eagle

A small caution... I hope your work isn't anything to do with birds - and I'd ignore all bird IDs coming from the boys in your team: wedge-tailed eagle is one of the most distinctive birds in Australia, with the proportions of a massive raptor (eg a huge deep bill, clearly not present here) and, as Fern says, a big fat graduated/pointed tail - and (from memory) a wing-pattern nothing like this.

Hi KKDoomed and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. I think it's pretty widespread throughout mainland Australia, apart from rainforests and rarely along the coast. But I don't think there are a lot of them. My sightings were at Cunnamulla QLD, and in WA at Waychinicup np, and Porongurup national park.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi KKDoomed and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. I think it's pretty widespread throughout mainland Australia, apart from rainforests and rarely along the coast. But I don't think there are a lot of them. My sightings were at Cunnamulla QLD, and in WA at Waychinicup np, and Porongurup national park.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.
Delia, the only part of mainland Oz it is absent from is westernmost SA and southeasternmost WA, according to IUCN map.
MJB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back