• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird question (1 Viewer)

Cutmemic

Canada
Hi , new here . Always been a bird fan and have taken care of many wild birds via feeding and watering . I have a new guy , young starling perhaps that hangs around my window ledge for hours on end .
I’ve noticed his feet are like two golf balls . He has these golf ball sized whitish clubs on his feet instead of bird feet .
He can’t stand too well so he sits for hours .
I wondered what this could be ???
Obviously I can’t get close enough for a decent pic so I tried my best you can see on his right foot ( left side of pic ) this growth ???
He sometimes pecks at it too and you can tell it bothers him

Attachments

• D63B7BE5-7952-4479-BB59-C90E1BCFAA70.jpeg
    D63B7BE5-7952-4479-BB59-C90E1BCFAA70.jpeg
    369.8 KB · Views: 13
It could be an infection caused by mites that causes irritation to the skin scales. The important thing is to thoroughly clean your feeders and then sanitize to prevent the spread of infection, same for water trough 9r birdbath. Also the area where the bird spends most of its time. Regrettably there is little you can do for the Starling. It most likely hangs around for easy pickings as it cannot successfully forage for natural prey.

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like. ;)

Do you possibly have an Audubon Society in your area? If so, I would call them and see if they can arrange to capture him and take it in for care. I would certainly like it if you keep us updated on this poor Starling.

Hi Greeme and a warm welcome from me too.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back