• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birdhouse Concern (2 Viewers)

MBH

United States
I just built my first birdhouse. In my excitement to finish to complete it and hang it I painted it with white acrylic paint including the inside. I quickly Figured out I shouldn’t have paints the inside after reviewing articles. Is there anything I can do to correc? Sanding it will be near impossible to remove all paint (it has 12 compartments). the only thing I can think of is adding thin paneling to the inside walls, ceiling, and floor so the birds do not peck at the paint. Anyone have any thoughts or advice besides getting rid of the birdhous.

Hi MBH and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. I can't really advise you on this, so will await input from other members.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hopefully one of the genius guys will have some suggestions for you. I hope so especially with all the time you have already put in to it.

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like. ;)

What is the supposed issue with painting inside? Once the paint dries, it is inert. The birds should have no reason to peck it and less reason to digest.

Welcome to Birdforum.

I imagine MBH is concerned that the birds may peck at insects inside the house and the paint will flake?

May I ask why so many compartments?

Well, acrylic paint is considered one of the safest paints when dry for children's art work etc. It's also used inside of fish aquariums for backgtound art work. So I can't say for birds but seems fine. You could recoat it with non toxic Tempura paint, milk paint to seal the acrylic paint if worried. Those are completely safe.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back