• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding Antalya area in November (1 Viewer)

Swissboy

Sempach, Switzerland
Supporter
Switzerland
I may have a single day for birding from Antalya in early November. Any suggestions?
I'm thinking about hiring a taxi to get me into the Taurus mountains searching for Krueper's Nuthatch. I'm hunting for opinions of those who know whether that is a good idea, or maybe could suggest alternatives.

Echoing the same question. I'll be out for Antalya for a day as well during the week after, so really appreciate any ideas.

Thank you

Well you have the choice to go in 2 directions - towards Side where old ruins are great around migration time, then to omnyipinar reservoir (near Manavgat) if you want to twitch brown fish owl, and up to Akeski area from there.

Or total opposite direction for day trip to Gogubeli pass between Elmali and Seki, though the mountain pass can be closed due to snow in winter. You can go to Seki without going over the pass, just study maps.

See Vacational trip reports section for a trip I did but that was April, and then at the end of the attached thread I returned in May that year. Both trips are covered in detail.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=228352&highlight=Antalya

Or you could stay relatively local around the historic sites at Side (as already highlighted) and Perge (near Antalya). To be honest I have no idea how good they around November.

............... Both trips are covered in detail.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=228352&highlight=Antalya

Or you could stay relatively local around the historic sites at Side (as already highlighted) and Perge (near Antalya). To be honest I have no idea how good they around November.

Thank you very much wolfbirder! Provides some interesting possibilities that I may try if chances arise. Think Perge would be my best option given the short time available.
Great trip report. Looks like you found ways to temporarily get out of "hell". ;)

Thanks wolfbirder, just a bit late though. I did my tour today, but unfortunately couldn't spot anything more than bulbuls and sparrows. I went to the pine forests in Belek and to Duden waterfalls, nice nature places but no birds unfortunately.

Hopefully will be able to do better next time with your advices ;)

Thank you very much wolfbirder! Provides some interesting possibilities that I may try if chances arise. Think Perge would be my best option given the short time available.
Great trip report. Looks like you found ways to temporarily get out of "hell". ;)

Your both welcome, thing is places (as Ashraf found out as in other post- sorry) like Perge maybe 'birdless' out of migration season. All these experiences are based on single visits so can give false view on what can be expected. I hope the information I gave helps and does not lead to disappointment because I suspect time of year really affects bird quality!

.............. I hope the information I gave helps and does not lead to disappointment because I suspect time of year really affects bird quality!

Hi wolfbirder,

I am referring to the trip report you linked to above. There, you mention Kruper's Nuthatch near Akseki.

"Akseki was a tough day for me, but at site 4 do check the roadside trees between 2-4km as I found a wonderful Kruper's Nuthatch that was calling loudly. They are meant to be fairly commonplace here ....."

My question is about that 2-4 km place. Is that meant from the Akseki turnoff? Thus staying on 695 and then check the trees after 2 km to about 4 km?

I'm considering renting a taxi that would bring us up there. No idea whether nuthatches would be around in November, but it seems my best bet at this point.

Hi to confirm, about 2km along the left turn to Beyhesir, NOT staying on the D695. Familiar yourself with the fire sign I photographed and park up around there . The bird I saw was a short distance on. Familiar yourself with the call before you go.

The only problem you might have is snow at that time of year. I believe they are also around Oymapinar Baraj (Green Canyon) so you might find them in pines there too and that is closer to Side and Manavagat and lower level. I would have thought Kropulu Canyon would be good territory too.

Best of luck.

Last edited:
Hi to confirm, about 2km along the left turn to Beyhesir, NOT staying on the D695. Familiar yourself with the fire sign I photographed and park up around there . The bird I saw was a short distance on. Familiar yourself with the call before you go.

The only problem you might have is snow at that time of year. I believe they are also around Oymapinar Baraj (Green Canyon) so you might find them in pines there too and that is closer to Side and Manavagat and lower level. I would have thought Kropulu Canyon would be good territory too.

Best of luck.

Thanks, quite helpful again. We'll be on 695 to Konya in a bus the week before, so this might provide an idea. But I realize it's a bit far from Antalya anyway. So a closer patch of pines would be preferred.
Any idea whether the Fish Owl might be around in early November? Would be a nice combo! :-O

I've no idea about the Fish Owls but I think they stay there all year round. You can try yourselves but you are better off contacting the people who run boats (Vigotours etc) though that isnt cheap.

I've no idea about the Fish Owls but I think they stay there all year round. You can try yourselves but you are better off contacting the people who run boats (Vigotours etc) though that isnt cheap.

Yes, I think trying to squeeze in a Fish Owl tour would be too much. So I'll try for the Krüper's Nuthatch if possible. From Google Earth it would seem the road towards Selge (07-05) at least to Köprülü Canyon should give us a decent chance. As I would love to see the Aspendos theater as well, that should be a more feasible combination.

Köprülü Kanyon: Krüper's Nuthatch success!

............ I would have thought Kropulu Canyon would be good territory too.

Best of luck.

We had a great week in Turkey, mainly Cappadocia. And I managed to rent a car instead of going to the sales-show marathon in Antalya the rest of the group was scheduled to go to. Originally, I had planned to get a taxi to drive us around. But that would have cost at least 130 Euros with the use of a driver plus rental car. The local Belek taxis said they would not go to Köprülü. So we rented the car without driver for 40 Euros plus 14 liters of Diesel fuel which added another 60 Turkish Lira, or about 24 Euros by local exchange rates. But with this, we had a full day, giving us much more flexibility. And after having been on a bus for many days, it was clear that driving in Turkey was not going to be a major problem outside the cities. So we also visited Aspendos with its excellent theater and aquaeduct. Though, for that part we kind of had to rush to see it before dark. A Blue Rock Thrush surprised us. I had thought they'd migrate south. But later realised they winter there. However, on leaving the Belek hotel area by bus the following day, there were several Spur-winged Lapwings which definitely were not "supposed" to still be around.

But now to the Köprülü Kanyon with its Krüper's Nuthatches:

We tried a few places on the way with sounds I had taken along. Success came at just a bit less than one kilometer from the Köprülü Kanyon bridge. There is a distance sign in the other direction on the left as one drives up. It says Antalya 95. Just opposite that sign, we parked the car and walked to the first trees at the forest edge (second picture). As I played the alarm call, a nuthatch flew out of the large tree we were under. And then it was just a matter of getting to see it well. There were at least two birds, a male and a female. But my wife said she heard more a bit higher up on the slope.

Not surprisingly, the recordings of songs did not elicit responses this time of the year. So I was happy I had a recording of the alarm call as well, downloaded from xeno-canto. That worked well outside of the breeding season.

The forest is very open. And it had a fresh green cover due to the fact that there had been rains about 10 days earlier. Even a flowering little orchid.

We then drove up about half way towards Selge just for the views and the vegetation, with a native natural Cypress forest to look at. This whole area is definitely worth a visit even without the goal of finding the little nuthatch. There is quite a bit of road construction about half way up from the main "coast road". So I'm afraid the area may well get spoiled in the future.

Thanks go to wolfbirder for helping me decide what to do and where to go! :clap:

Attachments

• P1030300red1200.jpg
    P1030300red1200.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 176
  • P1030303red1200ret.jpg
    P1030303red1200ret.jpg
    304.2 KB · Views: 198
  • P1030306red1200ret.jpg
    P1030306red1200ret.jpg
    345.6 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back