• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding at Loch of Kinnordy (12 Viewers)

Oh well, you deserve to get them first with the hours you put in there LOL.

Morning Mark

You'll see a bench seat on the path; the feeders are set down into the trees on the left opposite.

very large flock of pinkfoots in a field about quarter of a mile south of kinnordy today about 9.15 am,the 3 bramblings were showing really well at the feeders today,there has been some changes at the feeder area and there are 2 feeders nearer the path bringing the birds a lot closer,the brambling were on the nearest feeder,its a pity it was raining,coal tits/great tits/blue tits /chaffinches were also feeding on this feeder,1 m bullfinch was outside the swamp hide and on the water were loads of teal ,wigeon/mutes/1 pair of shovelar/moorhen/mallards,2 whoopers were between the gullery and east hide,a jay flew in front of the east hide window,2 red squirrels and 1 hare seen

Attachments

• feeders.JPG
    feeders.JPG
    221.5 KB · Views: 65
  • whoopers.JPG
    whoopers.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 48
  • redsq.JPG
    redsq.JPG
    155.9 KB · Views: 56
I was up at kinnordy for a few hours on sunday hoping to see the bear dies and also the bittern which had been seen on friday and saturday. A lot of other people came to the reserve hoping for the bittern to show, but by the time i had departed, it hadn't been out in the open. The beardies weren't playing ball either and didn't show, even though they were also seen on saturday. Oh well, there is always next sunday i suppose.
There were still quite a few birds to be seen and these included peregrine, sparrowhawk, kestrel, buzzard, mallard, wigeon, gadwall, goldeneye, teal, tufts, goo sander, cormorant, heron, snipe, lapwing, pink feet, greylags, whoopers, mute swans, shoveler, blue tits, great tits, coal tits, long tailed tits, bullfinch, chaffinch, brambling, great spotted woodpecker, wood pigeon, blackbird, treecreeper, wren, robin, song thrush, pheasant, crow, rook, reed bunting, goldcrest, siskin and common gull.[/B
It was good to see Delia again.
Darell

It was good to catch up with you too, Darell. I really think the loch looked its best in that lovely sun.

I couldn't believe it when I saw so many cars in the car park LOL but it was nice to see so many people going about.

Seems like there's plenty of good stuff about at the moment and useful information in the posts above (thanks). I hope to visit the reserve on Monday morning (with fingers crossed for Bearded Tit and Brambling).

I enjoyed my visit to the reserve yesterday morning, visiting the feeding station, all the hides, and walking further along the path to Kirriemuir than I have before. It was great to finally see a Brambling (on the feeders with the common woodland birds), and there were at least three male Bullfinches and a Treecreeper. The usual suspects were on the loch but I didn't see Bearded Tit, Bittern, Green-winged Teal and Whooper Swan (which I heard were around).

What a shame that some people want to spoil other peoples enjoyment. Some morons decided to put one of the benches through a side panel in the gullery hide, on friday night. If going into the hide then wrap up warm because its a bit cooler than it normally is.

On a brighter note, i was up at the reserve this morning to find it frozen, apart from a small area at the east end of the loch. Mallards, goosander, goldeneye, coot, mute swans and tufties were there in small numbers. 4 whoopers came in to join them as did a few greylag geese.
I went along to put food up at the feeding station and no sooner had i put some fatcakes up, a flock of long tailed tits desended on them. A great spotted woodpecker then arrived and departed as soon as he saw me filling up the seed feeders.
Gus and i went along to the swamp hide to see if either the bittern or beardies were there. No joy for them, but we did hear and then see water rail. Coming out of the hide we saw 8 bullfinches, fieldfare, reed bunting and a greenfinch...a rareity at kinnordy!!
treecreeper, siskin and another woodpecker were next, by the boardwalk at gullery hide. I went along to the feeding station again to find it a hive of activity. Blue tits, great tits, coal tits, robin, chaffinches and brambling.
The sun was shining but boy it was a cold morning. -2 when i left Dundee this morning and -5 when i got to kinnordy.

Darell

Attachments

• Damaged Gullery hide.jpg
    Damaged Gullery hide.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 72
  • hole in gullery.jpg
    hole in gullery.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 72
Gawd... I'm speechless Darell. What the .... was the point in that?

In some ways, we have been lucky over the years Delia that nothing like this has happenned before. We've had one or two bits of vandalism, especially during school holidays, but to do this latest one, they would have had to drive there specially. As you say, what was the point!!
The police have been to see it and they are going to be keeping an eye the reserve at nights.

However, you really got some nice birds didn't you. Sounds as if you had a good morning with the birds.

I will find out what exactly is happening and post on here. There is a message from Kim in the gallery hide and on the board in the car park area that the gates will be getting closed from dusk til dawn. Its such a shame that a few idiots cause this to be done.

It was really cold when i arrived this morning and the car park was like an ice rink. After a couple of hours, the wind really did get up and lasted for the rest of the time we were there.
The loch was frozen at the swamp end and in front of the gallery hide. At the east end there was an area of water, a lot bigger than last week. Teal, wigeon, goldeneye, goo sander, mute swans, whooper swans, mallard, tufts and a cormorant were all present in that area. At the feeders, there were blue tits, great tits, coal tits, robin, blackbird, chaffinch, brambling and treecreeper.
Other birds seen today were Merlin, sparrow hawk, buzzard, pheasant, crows, jackdaws, heron, reed bunting and starling.

Darell

Users who are viewing this thread

Back