• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding groups from the past(?) (1 Viewer)

Vectis Birder

Itchy feet
Last week I reread Mark Cocker's Birders: Tales of a Tribe (for the umpteenth time, I love that book) and one of the things that I was wondering about was who are, or were, '...the Kent lot, the Cornish suppressors, the Leicester lowlisters, the Sandbach Flashers, the Wath Ings bootboys, the Upstarts...' etc as mentioned in the chapter The Loop, I?
Were these just informal names for people who birded in a specific area? Although I am wondering about 'Flashers' and 'Bootboys'! Any Flashers and Bootboys here? Are these groups still going?

While I am too young (born in 1970) to have experienced most of the scene as described in the book, it's very evocative, especially the chapters The Place That Launched A Thousand Trips and Satyr Tragopan, II - The End, and is one of the reasons I wanted to do some world birding.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back