• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Devon : Warren House Inn (Dartmoor) (2 Viewers)

Andrew

wibble wibble
Birding in Devon : Dartmoor (Warren House Inn)

OS Grid Reference :
SX676811 (click here for map)

Directions : Turn of the M5 at Junction 31 and head north west on to the A30 towards Okehampton. Turn off the A30 soon onto the B3212 towards Moretonhampstead. Continue through Moretonhampstead staying on the B3212 towards Princetown and stop at the car park on the map when you can see Warren House Inn.

Description : This is simply just one small place in the vast Dartmoor National Park. There is really nothing more I can say than it is a typical heather covered moor with a conifer forest at the base of the gentle valley. There is a circular walk that can be carried out to cover the area well but do not let that restrict you as it pays to venture all over the area providing you stick to well trodden paths. Leave the lower car park heading east on the footpath. This footpath takes you down to an old settlement near a disused mine which is good for quite a few birds. The settlement is near the base of the valley and the path carries on south to Soussons Downs, the aforementioned conifer forest. Along the way there are many small clusters of trees to investigate. Soussons Down has some felled areas that provide added potential. There are a few ways of going through the forest, sometimes a brief pass through is enough to tick a few birds. You can either go onto a track and return to the car park via the main B3212 or, as I prefer, return to the footpath and cover the path back to the car park again to ensure you see any birds you may have missed out on first time. At the end of the walk you can look to see if the Inn is open, apparently it has a warming fire that has never gone out.

Species : Most notably the species to come here for is the Ring Ouzel which can be seen anywhere. They are often best looked for around the old settlement but they have come close to the picnic tables around the car parks. If you struggle then head up to the other side of the valley to increase your chances. They are a summer visitor so a winter birding session will not result in a Ring Ouzel. The best months to ensure success would be between May and August, April and September are likely to produce a sighting but the chances won't be as good. There is usually a worthwhile reason to look here at any time of the year. In winter you have a good chance of seeing a dashing Merlin, a Hen-harrier or an Owl. Golden Plover, Fieldfares and Redwings visit in winter too. As with all of Dartmoor you would not be laughed at if you looked for a Great Grey Shrike. When it begins to warm up in Spring you should look out for warblers such as Willows Warbler, Chiffchaff or Blackcap. Also worth bearing in mind is a Cuckoo, they often call out here and can be seen chased off by other passerines. Look around for Stonechats, Redstarts and Whinchats, the latter being more abundant as far I am concerned. The trees and forests are worth checking all year for Redpolls and/or Siskins. Look out for Red Grouse too as well as only a few Snipe, I personally have not seen them here but they are there according to other birders. Waders do breed on moors but they are falling in numbers so do not expect to see them here. All year residents also include common birds such as Wood Pigeon, Chaffinch, Greenfinch and so on so there is plenty to see here but the main draw for me is the Ring Ouzels.

Advice : Walk slowly and study each tree carefully especially around the hills north of the Settlement for the Ring Ouzels. Drive carefully over the moor land roads as Ponies and sheep are often in the middle of the road. If you have plenty of time also pay a visit to Bellever Forest/Plantation. It will double your chances of a Redpoll or Siskin.

Disabled Access : Unfortunately the path is impossible for wheelchairs to use but if you visit during the daylight hours then you can easily navigate the roads to cober quite some ground. The car parks areas are worth checking out though as I have seen Cuckoos and Ring Ouzels have been seen there.

Other places nearby : Fernworthy Forest, Dunsford Woods, Yarner Woods, Kennick/Tottiford/Trenchford Reservoirs and the rest of Dartmoor.

County Recorder : Mike Tyler, The Acorn, Shute Road, Kilmington, Axminster, Devon, EX13 7ST. [email protected]

Devon Bird Watching & Preservation Society Memberships : POB 71, Okehampton, Devon, EX20 1WF. Email : [email protected]

Some photos would be good Andrew, it's a beautiful place.
Woodcock and Crossbill in the Plantation, good for Hobby in the Summertime(and the fish are good looking)too.
Wonderful days there in the Winter, Hen Harriers followed by Tanglefoot in the Pub afterwards.

Cheers Andrew for all the info, I've printed it all, and the map, and placed it in my "places to go folder".We've been to dartmeet a few times, mostly early spring as it gets very busy in the summer.Will look forward to checking out Warren House Inn, next spring. regards Bill.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back