• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Heathrow Airport (1 Viewer)

lgonz1008

United States
Probably a dumb question, but better ask than just being left in the dark.

I'm doing a trip to Kenya in May of this year and have a 3-4 hour layover in Heathrow, I can imagine having proper time to go birding outside the airport, but I was wondering where can I see some of the species being reported in the eBird checklist for the area: https://ebird.org/hotspot/L2958232/media?yr=all&m=

Never been anywhere in Europe, so even birds like Common Wood-Pigeon and Eurasian Kestrel would be nice lifers to have during this quick layover.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

I often make a fool of myself trying to see birds through the terminal windows at airports. If I’ve got the binos with me and might as well use them. Mostly crows and pigeons. Not sure what there is to see at Heathrow. You might get lucky and see a kestrel, too.

Maybe that’s taking your question a bit too literally 🙂

Woodpigeon, House Sparrow, Starling, Swift, Swallow, Carrion Crow are all reasonably likely from terminal windows; beyond that you could probably do a quick dash by taxi to somewhere like Staines to get some common wetland species.

From within the airport, if you can find somewhere looking out over the airfield you've a decent chance of Kestrel, Red Kite, Buzzard, gulls and maybe some flying wildfowl, Grey Heron, Little Egret or Cormorant (there are a lot of reservoirs and gravel pits to the West of the airport so that might be the best direction to try for). I'd agree Woodpigeon is a good bet along with European Starling and perhaps even Ring-necked Parakeet.

John

There are various observation points around Heathrow.

They are optimised for plane spotters but will give good views. The problem is they are all land-side. If you are transiting then most likely you will have to remain air-side.

Probably a dumb question, but better ask than just being left in the dark.

I'm doing a trip to Kenya in May of this year and have a 3-4 hour layover in Heathrow, I can imagine having proper time to go birding outside the airport, but I was wondering where can I see some of the species being reported in the eBird checklist for the area: https://ebird.org/hotspot/L2958232/media?yr=all&m=

Never been anywhere in Europe, so even birds like Common Wood-Pigeon and Eurasian Kestrel would be nice lifers to have during this quick layover.

Any input is greatly appreciated.
Depends greatly on what view you have of the airfield. It will be mostly common stuff: Starling, House Sparrow, Carrion Crow, Feral Pigeon, Woodpigeon. Skylarks breed on the airfield and Kestrels regularly hunt. Red Kite and Common Buzzard may be seen overheard. Peregrine, Black Redstart, Goldfinch, Pied Wagtail, and Linnet are also possible with luck.
Drop me a PM with your date and time when you'll be at the airport and I'll see if I can get you out to one of our conservation sites for a quick bit of birding if I'm around. I'm the Biodiversity Manager at Heathrow Airport.

Cheers,

Adam

Woodpigeon, House Sparrow, Starling, Swift, Swallow, Carrion Crow are all reasonably likely from terminal windows; beyond that you could probably do a quick dash by taxi to somewhere like Staines to get some common wetland species.
Considering that reviews online say that you should be 3 hours ahead of time in the airport for international flights out of Heathrow, not sure if I can even dream of risking it.

Depends greatly on what view you have of the airfield. It will be mostly common stuff: Starling, House Sparrow, Carrion Crow, Feral Pigeon, Woodpigeon. Skylarks breed on the airfield and Kestrels regularly hunt. Red Kite and Common Buzzard may be seen overheard. Peregrine, Black Redstart, Goldfinch, Pied Wagtail, and Linnet are also possible with luck.
Drop me a PM with your date and time when you'll be at the airport and I'll see if I can get you out to one of our conservation sites for a quick bit of birding if I'm around. I'm the Biodiversity Manager at Heathrow Airport.

Cheers,

Adam
Really helpful of you Adam. I hope they take you up on it.
And wouldn't it be great if every major airport hub had a biodiversity manager as helpful as you.

Really helpful of you Adam. I hope they take you up on it.
And wouldn't it be great if every major airport hub had a biodiversity manager as helpful as you.
Already sent a message, can't say no to free lifers! Plus, first time I've heard of a biodiversity manager for an airport, we sure don't have anything remotely close to one in the Miami airport...

Considering that reviews online say that you should be 3 hours ahead of time in the airport for international flights out of Heathrow, not sure if I can even dream of risking it.
Save yourself from stress and don't leave the airport. The cues to get out and in can be dreadful.
I haven't seen anything of note at Heathrow: too much concrete. Amsterdam is the better hub for birding (mainly because the taxiing takes ages).

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back