• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Worcestershire (1 Viewer)

Tree Sparrows ??

Yes you're right....I hadn't looked close enough. There's no white neck band, black cheek flash or brown head on the male.

.......oh well next time.

Hi Ian,
Only Tree Sparrows I have seen in the near vicinity are at Belvide , there is an almost 100% chance of seeing them from one of the hides ( can't remember which one of the top of my head ).
Regards
Alan

A first for the county (and West Midlands region) with a RED-FLANKED BLUETAIL north of Redditch at Lion Wood NR just south of Portway. The bird was trapped and ringed yesterday morning and has been seen sporadically that afternoon and today.

After an hour at Woodrow to see the Wheatears (three this morning, 2M 1F), I had a lovely couple of hours around Chaddesley Wood. Plenty of birds around, but the most productive spot was the field immediately east of the wood, 15+ Meadow Pipit and a small group of Redwing/Fieldfare clinging on.

I only saw three other people the whole time I was at Chaddesley. Unfortunately, between them those three people had 5 dogs, all off leads despite the clear signage at the entrances. I spoke to all of them. Got a "I know my dogs, they won't do any harm" from one who was glued to her phone and paying no attention to her dogs. The other couple told me I wasn't being very polite and I should have said please. They were still chuntering when they walked past me 20 minutes later.

An excellent year for the county - Bonaparte's Gull, Golden Oriole, Lesser Yellowlegs and perhaps something else - continues with a county first on the form of a Melodious Warbler today singing on the Lickey Hills.

Good on my very first visit and within 10 minutes to find a Dipper today at Belbroughton. (Maybe the Brum Dippers origin?)
Morning...there have been breeding Dippers along that stream for some time. I haven't seen any juveniles this year but there have been others in previous. They didn't have Brummy accents though 🙂.

Morning...there have been breeding Dippers along that stream for some time. I haven't seen any juveniles this year but there have been others in previous. They didn't have Brummy accents though 🙂.
Hi Ian, thanks for the info. That location is 10 miles from Birmingham so a possible source for the Rea Dippers. Thanks!!

I did indeed but i think it was a non-breeding Winter wanderer.

Might i add - you have a bloody good memory mate!

They still breed on the Lutley ‘Gutter’ afaik (betwixt Colley Gate n Halesowen) and i used to see them regularly by the Red Lion PH @ Wombourne. The most local to me are on the Stour between Wordsley Basin and the new fishing pools at Bells Mill - had a calling bird only a coupla weeks ago. There is a footbridge that crosses the river which is a good spot to look for feeding birds when the river is low and has Goosander in the Winter.

Good birding -

Laurie -

Hi Ian, thanks for the info. That location is 10 miles from Birmingham so a possible source for the Rea Dippers. Thanks!!
Hi ya mate.... I'm from Sheldon originally, a real Brummy & found my way over here 😳....so no reason why they can't be related to the Rea birds. The Drayton Dippers aren't the easiest to see, so you did well.
Have you seen the Wyre Forest Dippers? Like yours, they're really showy. I think there's 4/5 there.
All the best.
Ian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back