• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding Kew Gardens during Heathrow Layover? (1 Viewer)

but a bit further and in different directions and there actually plenty of good sites around if you just make an effort to travel to them . . . . (but east kent is better) :t:

One of my favourite winter places, Dan, is Walland Marsh.....fabulous:t:. If Robert comes in winter we can go there too, easy from Dungeness. But I'm quite upset as they are building 28 wind turbines there:C......some are already up.

OK ... here's more "on-topic".

Just learned my flights are landing at, and departing from, Terminal 1.

Anyone know if this is one of the more, (or less?), efficient Terminals for processing passengers at Heathrow? That could make or break the attempted outing, or at least determine how much time is actually useful for the excursion.

You mentioned United Airlines earlier. Is that right? United have recently relocated to Terminal 1 from T3.....don't know how efficient that one is. But at least it's not the new T5 which is the one they had so much trouble with a few months ago.

But at least it's not the new T5 which is the one they had so much trouble with a few months ago.

T5 is operating smoothly now, or at least it was according to news reports a week ago. Though it was a total mess up in the beginning, I would imagine this would be the best of the terminals to go through IF everything is going how it should.

To all my British, and BirdForum, friends ....

Thanks beyond words for all your comments above.

Well, the big trip is upon me -- This coming Sunday marks my evening departure from Seattle, with arrival at Heathrow mid day on Monday the 1st. My greeters are BF members from Warrington, and I have left the day's touring to their discretion (Not to worry. They're seasoned traveler's and have followed this thread with some seriousness).

I will post a West London/Heathrow report on the Forum upon my return from Botswana and Zambia (my ultimate destinations). Naturally, I will also post a new thread for my African travels as well (in about three weeks time).

Curiously, my Warrington mates will be my guests in Seattle, Washington shortly after my return from Africa. They'll be here for two weeks, touring the State of Washington on a trip that I helped design for them. No doubt this will produce yet another thread.

So, there's more to BirdForum than an occasional bird ID (valuable though that may be), or optical analysis. It's an opportunity for all of us to join in an unbelievable community of like-minded people - and to share resources that enable the exploration of the world.

Cheers, ... from one end of the world to the other(s) ...

Robert / Seattle

Attachments

• Seattle-filtered.jpg
    Seattle-filtered.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
My town, but not my photo.

Off to Africa via Heathrow tomorrow. Be sure to stand outside your house a little before 1 PM -- I'll wave to you as I fly over (I'll be wearing a white carnation and carrying a copy of "Birds of Terminal 1").

Cheers,
Robert

Have a great trip.......The Forum Restaurant awaits your return with the VIP table by the window booked for three weeks time.:king:

'Birds of Terminal 1' needs updating. Can we count on you to report your invaluable sightings?

Last edited:
Have a great trip.......The Forum Restaurant awaits your return with the VIP table by the window booked for three weeks time.:king:

'Birds of Terminal 1' needs updating. Can we count on you to report your invaluable sightings?

Great observation, Joanne. That's why I always carry a well-worn copy of "Birds of Terminal 3". The species list is similar enough that it provides a good account of many of the birds likely spotted at T1. Either way, I'll do a comprehensive survey of the area, and report my findings in the scholarly journal, "Findings of the Royal Academy of Twitchers at the End of the Forum".

Ta ...

Aaaah...'The Royal Academy of Twitchers at the End of the Forum'! We were threatened with being banished to the Naughty Corner, aka RF. Perhaps we'll now be elevated to the heights of the Rare Birds Forum.B :) :t:

Now........where is that puffin Jos saw?

Have a safe journey and a great vacation Robert. I'm looking forward to your reports on your return....I've always been a lurker but decided to pop up and post for once...LOL

to 2nd Keith's post - I hope you have an amazing trip/adventure Robert ! All the best to you friend.:clap:

Thanks Dave! A full report upon my return. (Departure later today, Heathrow tomorrow, Jo'Burg Tuesday, then on to Botswana).

And oh yeah, guess who I'm hooking up with in Germany on my way back?

And oh yeah, guess who I'm hooking up with in Germany on my way back?

Easy peasy! Captain Tom of course!!! Probably he's gonna take you to an obscure uninhabited island somewhere near Hamberg full of rare waders and vagrants from Siberia and the back of beyond, throw in a few ducks........ and make us all the rest of us jealous! ;)

Bon voyage Robert!

Well

Robert did arrive and was allowed out of Heathrow!
I will let him tell you where we went on his return.

Suffice it to say that my wife and I now have this rare American vagrant ( first for Britain) ticked on our list for the BF200 club!!!!

(The plumage was a bit more winter than I expected but don't tell Robert I said that!!!).

James

Well

(The plumage was a bit more winter than I expected but don't tell Robert I said that!!!).

James

3:) I'm now intrigued!

Thanks for the update. I'd been wondering if you three had connected.:t: I was thinking about you and also that the weather wasn't too bad yesterday.

Joanne

Well

Robert did arrive and was allowed out of Heathrow!
I will let him tell you where we went on his return.

Suffice it to say that my wife and I now have this rare American vagrant ( first for Britain) ticked on our list for the BF200 club!!!!

James

Must have been my walker that gave it away. I just figured that adding racing stripes to the handles would convey a sense of vitality - so much for fashion, eh?

Great trip, everyone. Two and a half weeks in the back country of Botswana's Okavango Delta was exhilarating, even if grueling. Still, perhaps as many as 125 species of birds and lots of charismatic mammalian megafauna (including Wild Dog and Leopard) have been listed in my notes and will be posted in a new thread when I come back to life. 39 hours from camp to home has taken it's temporary toll.

In the meantime, James and Jeannine were the perfect hosts to your wonderful country. With mere hours to devote to our task, a little bit of England was found at Runnymede along the Thames west of Heathrow, culminating in 17 ticks (about a dozen of which were new to me). A casual tea and clotted cream with scones concluded the brief but memorable visit. Species seen were:

Rook
Carrion Crow
Jackdaw
Canada Goose
Egyptian Googe
Pied Wagtail
Common Coot
Common Moorhen
Mallard
Grey Heron
Wood Pigeon
Black-headed Gull
(European) Herring Gull
Barn Swallow
Common Chaffinch
Common Kestrel
House Sparrow

I'll be returning the favor just one week from today when James and Jeannine arrive in Seattle for their two-week birding tour of Washington State. Talk about winter plumage -- I'll be taking some pictures of my own when these English endemics arrive in my neck of the woods, albeit plane-assisted.

Finally, the opportunity to cavort with another BF'er presented itself when my return flight from Jo'Burg routed through Frankfurt. Ladies and Gentlemen, behold the clever and mischievous ThoLa! Here we sit in Frankfurt's famed Chez Terminal 1 - (the cafe at the end of the runway) - enjoying fine Swiss wine at 5 AM and flirting with a small but lovely Swiss woman named Heidi (inside joke to those of you "in the know" on the Forum). And my return couldn't be more timely - having glanced at some of the new threads and seeing precious little whimsy (what's all this talk about "bottles"? -- tsk, tsk). Fire up the kitchen stoves and dress the tables, the RF brigade is reassembled and ready for some meaningful "tongue-in-cheek".

Attachments

• L1000174_1.jpg
    L1000174_1.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 111
Fire up the kitchen stoves and dress the tables, the RF brigade is reassembled and ready for some meaningful "tongue-in-cheek".

Welcome back Robert....the forum has not been quite the same without you. :king: Glad you had a good trip and await with keen anticipation the full report.

Hello Tom, always nice to see what a new forum member looks like!

Joanne

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back