• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding San Gerado de Dota Without a Vehicle (1 Viewer)

When we were there several years ago as I recall there was a little Tico house where I'm told the caretaker occasionally stayed. It may have been pulled down since.
You're right Andy that it would be a nice property for a small lodge or B&B but might be so popular that bookings would be full. I'm guessing that every birding tour company in the country would be vying for rooms there.
A little cafe would be icing on the cake.
Cheers,
Bryan

Sure would, that would be perfect. When the place started out in the 90s, that was the original plan. They were even building some cabins and the placed looked quite different. But, for whatever reason, the project came to a stop and had that caretaker ever since.

The new owner is most definitely into ornithology and a new structure has been built there. I suspect that he will probably use it for bird studies of some sort but whether it will be open to general visitors remains to be seen.
On another note, there used to also be a house across the street from there, it was on a small ridge that overlooked the highway. I camped there in 96, the guy who lived there was also into birds. The birding from that house was pretty amazing (as one might imagine). All possible tanagers every morning and much more. There are also a few trails through excellent habitat near there but don't know about current access. Lots of potential of course.

Hi Patrick,
Well, I'll definitely take solid ornithological research and no public access over most other sketchier alternatives. It would be nice though if they could roll a bit of public access and education into their activities. Plus a cafe of course, lets not forget that. Perhaps their funding budget won't allow for it though.
By across the street I take it you mean the highway? I was always focused on trying not to miss the entrance to El Tapir to pay attention to the other side of the highway.
In any case that is interesting information about the trails.
Cheers,
Bryan

Hi,

I never heard back from Tropical Feathers with a proposal for a custom split trip to San Gerardo de Dota and San Isidro de El General, so that option is no longer being considered.

Thus, I will either go back to my original plan of on my own in San Gerardo probably with 10 days at Miriam's and 5 at Paraiso Quetzal or a split of 10 days in San Gerardo and 10 in San Isidro. As of now I'm leaning towards the shorter trip focusing extensively on the mountain birds.

Saludos y cuidate,
Les

Hi,

Just an update on visiting San Gerardo de Dota and elsewhere in Costa Rica in March, 2021.

Due to the fact I live in Mexico which has not come close to controlling covid-19, unfortunatley I have cancelled my reservations. Mexico is deservably not on the approved CR list and it is doubtful it will be in the near or even distant future.

Plus, even if approved, where I live it is impossible to obtain the required negative test result 48 hours prior to the flight. As far as a vaccine, I'd definitely be amenable but not until its efficacy is definitely proven and that seems too far off in the future.

So, I hope to go to CR in 2022, if possible.

In the meantime for 2021 I'll be going for two weeks to arguably the best birding spot in Mexico which has on-sight lodging, Rancho Primavera which is about an hour south of Puerto Vallarta and six plus hours from where I live. Since I don't drive, I'm hoping to hire private transportation to get me there and back. If not it will be a combination of taxis and buses.

Take care,
Les

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back