• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds suddenly disappeared from my garden (1 Viewer)

LeeUK2020

I've had my feeders up with sunflower hearts and suet for 2 months and have consistently had blue/great/coal tits, sparrows, starlings and robins - I also have soaked mealworms which has been popular with sparrows and starlings. However, the past 4 days they have been nearly completely absent, with the odd magpie eating the mealworms. The starlings and tits in particular have been completely missing, in contrast to a few weeks ago when they barely left my garden at all!

The neighbours are doing construction work but this has been happening for a while - my flatmates also hang laundry up in the garden, but again this isn't anything new... Does anyone have any ideas? I know it usually dies down by the end of summer, why is it so quiet now?

Could there perhaps be some Birds of Prey flying around your area? That will keep the song birds in hiding.

That's possible, but nothing that I know of, just the regular magpies. The sparrows and starlings are back today but infrequently, and the tits are still missing. Maybe there an abundance of food elsewhere...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back