• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birdwatching near Eastbourne (1 Viewer)

Jeanie

Jeanie with one n.
Am going to a wedding at the end of June and spending 3 nights in Eastbourne.
Driving down from Chester on the Thursday. Any suggestions for birdwatching on the way down and in the area between Lewis and Eastbourne. Will be going to the family records office there on Thursday p.m so will have a free day on the Friday.
Many thanks
Jeanie.

Jeanie, I hope one of the locals will answer this but in case they don't ... the whole area around Cuckmere Haven, including Seaford Head to the west, is highly recommended (by me, anyway). Plus, coming from up there, you may be glad to hear Nightingales: maybe their locations aren't disclosed these days but they used to be on the northern edge of Friston Forest. Hope you have a great time.

Splash point, Seaford is worth a visit as there's a Kittiwake colony there.

Another place I like to go is the Arlington reservoir.

Geoff.

Hello Jeanie

This is my part of Sussex! Will you be staying in Lewes or Eastbourne? Have to agree with the earlier posters re Cuckmere Haven; this is where I cut my birding teeth and a place I don't get to often enough these days. It is also very beautiful. An excellent walk is to park in the Golden Galleon carpark at Exeat and walk towards the sea. If you keep to the uphill path to the west it'll take you to the Coastguard Cottages, then go west along the cliffs to Hope Gap, then down the steps onto the beach, then walk east until you come to the river, then back up to the Golden Galleon along the river. It's probably about a three-four mile walk. Check the tides before you do this; you don't want to do this walk at high tide.

Splash Point is also good, being one of the main seawatching points on the Sussex coast, although June is not the best month, there's usually something there besides the 900 pairs of nesting Kittiwakes! If you like seabird colonies, Splash is better in the afternoon light.

The Ouse valley is good too, Rodmell being the best. Park in the National Trust carpark (Virginia Wolfs house) and walk towards the river.

Many thanks for all advice. We have managed 4 nights so staying in Pulborough on the first night. Hope to visit Petworth house and the RSPB place close by. Next night is Worthing. Planning to go to Arundell. Then 2 nights in Eastbourne, wedding on Sat. and Home via Essex and family commitments on Sunday.
Will try and fit in some of the above.
Having said all that, splashed bleach in my eye this morning so spent some time in A&E and have to go to eye clinic tomorrow. So may be going nowhere!!

If you're travelling through Essex you may wish to try Rainham Marsh or Abberton (near Colchester). Rye Harbour near Hastings is worth the trip from Eastbourne too if you have time.

To round up this thread.
Had a great time. We visited Pulborough RSPB and saw 2 Nightingales!! We have seen them in Europe but never in the UK so very pleased.
Then went to Arundel WWT. Nothing new but a very pleasant place to visit. Much more natural surroundings than Martin Mere. On Sat. morning we visited Cuckmere Haven. What a beautiful place. There was a bar headed goose amongst the Canada. Is this an escapee?
We then drove to Seaford Head and had a look at the Kittiwake.
Many thanks for all your suggestions. Did not manage to birdwatch on our way to Essex but will bear advice in mind the next time we are down there.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back