• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black-faced Firefinch (1 Viewer)

Alan Manson

KwaZulu-Natal birder
Opus Editor
Discussion thread for Black-faced Firefinch. If you would like to add a comment, click the Post Reply button.
-------------------------

Regarded as a separate species by Clements 4th ed., IOC World Bird List (Version 1.6), and Sibley & Monroe 1993.

However, Clements 6th ed. (2007), Howard & Moore 2003 (corrigenda 7), and Sibley & Monroe 1996, regard it a subspecies of Black-throated Firefinch L. larvata.

Redirected to Black-throated Firefinch.

Correction: Black-throated Firefinch redirected to Black-faced Firefinch (See post #3 below)

Last edited:
Sorry Alex, I made a mistake; we need to keep Black-faced (but with scientific name larvata), and redirect Black-throated.

Clements 07 and H&M 03 use Black-faced as the common name for L. larvata; S&M 96 and IOC use Black-throated.
IOC and S&M 93 split L. vinacea as Black-faced, and S&M 96 lumps as Black-throated L. larvata.

All very confusing, but I think I have it sorted now 8-P

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back