• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black-headed Gull in Sweden today (1 Viewer)

Aladdin

Thailand
Dear members and bird watchers!

Maybe a stupid question. But this two birds are ID by me as an adult Black-headed Gull in breeding plumage and one 1st winter Black-headeed gull.

But why is the adult in breeding plumage in February with temp -10 DegC

Kind regards and happy birding
Aladdin

Attachments

• black-headed_gull20.jpg
    black-headed_gull20.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 38
  • black-headed_gull21.jpg
    black-headed_gull21.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 37
Not sure if you meant to attach a picture, but it's pretty normal for Black-headed Gull to be in breeding plumage now, or at least approaching it. The temperature isn't going to affect that.
Thank you!

Yes, you are right, there should be attached pictures and I have attached them now.

Beginning of February and already with breeding plumage. I spotted 2 adults and the rest looked to be 1st winter. Might have been adult in noon breeding but hard to see in the sun shine

Thanks again, appreciated
Aladdin

I think the problem is that breeding plumage is often referred to as 'summer plumage', which obviously makes people surprised to see it in the winter. With Black-headed Gulls, the breeding season is not that far away though. I expect they will be getting back to their breeding colonies within about 6-8 weeks from now.

I think the problem is that breeding plumage is often referred to as 'summer plumage', which obviously makes people surprised to see it in the winter. With Black-headed Gulls, the breeding season is not that far away though. I expect they will be getting back to their breeding colonies within about 6-8 weeks from now.
Thank you!

I have reacted on the Black-headed gulls before. Already back to non breeding in July, or almost completed the molt. So they seems to be very early.

Thanks again
Aladdin

1614161925998.png

Summer plumage gull had me wondering this morning.
Just the one in amongst a flock of 'winter plumage black headed' in London.
Checked my books, found this thread

1614162005947.png

Meanwhile, a flock of visiting redwing with a few fieldfare were feeding on a nearby field.

Black-headed Gulls are incredibly variable in moult time. At this time of year you can see everything from full breeding plumage to full "winter" and all stages in between.
Cheers!

Right now in Cyprus bird watching. Today I spotted a group of about 150 birds. And as you say, they are all in different stages

Thank you!
Aladdin

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back