• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black Snake in Bat House (1 Viewer)

Thriceshy

United States
We have two bat houses on the side of the house, about 15 feet up. Both inhabited, saw babies just last week. But this morning, we came out to see a big black rat snake IN one of the houses. He was curled out, and we could see the lumps in him showing he’s been eating bats. We tried a hook attached to a long board to try grabbing him, but he retreated up further in than we can access. What do we do, besides prevent future issues by putting a baffle on the rain gutter downspout, which is almost certainly where he got access? Do we take the house down and pull him out? Open the house? That seems like a sure-fire way to lose the bats, but what do I know? We’re not looking to kill the snake, he’s just doing his snake thing, but we’ve got to get him out of the bat house :sad: Oh, in northwestern Virginia.

I'm sorry about your bats. I totally get it. I just joined this group to figure out the same darn thing. This is my second go with snakes in my wren house. First time, I let it go full of my precious babies. I think it was a cornsnake. I thought my wrens would never return, but a different couple moved in (after thoroughly cleaning and reinstalling the house). This time the babies were "quieter" so I thought they were very small still. Anyway, I knew I had to protect them, but I never got the chance, this morning the birdhouse was quiet and no parents in sight. I looked up and there was his head sticking out. I taped the hole shut, got the house down and put it into a plastic container with a lid. He finally came out. He is now on a journey this morning far away from my house where I will let him go in a park. I'm done for the season, but next year if I decide to put it up, I won't unless the baffles are installed. My house is high up off the ground on the house is on a pillar under my porch and it's square so hard to baffle maybe. It's so sad. I know that's what snakes do, but it's heartbreaking. And I'm in VA as well, eastern part.

I'm sorry about your bats. I totally get it. I just joined this group to figure out the same darn thing. This is my second go with snakes in my wren house. First time, I let it go full of my precious babies. I think it was a cornsnake. I thought my wrens would never return, but a different couple moved in (after thoroughly cleaning and reinstalling the house). This time the babies were "quieter" so I thought they were very small still. Anyway, I knew I had to protect them, but I never got the chance, this morning the birdhouse was quiet and no parents in sight. I looked up and there was his head sticking out. I taped the hole shut, got the house down and put it into a plastic container with a lid. He finally came out. He is now on a journey this morning far away from my house where I will let him go in a park. I'm done for the season, but next year if I decide to put it up, I won't unless the baffles are installed. My house is high up off the ground on the house is on a pillar under my porch and it's square so hard to baffle maybe. It's so sad. I know that's what snakes do, but it's heartbreaking. And I'm in VA as well, eastern part.
Thanks for the reply! We got him out using the hook, he wasn’t harmed. We know that because we found him sunning himself on the deck railing the next day. We put up a baffle and crossed our fingers, because we didn’t see any bat activity for a couple of days, but then there they were—bat houses are still packed! So it worked out—I hope you have similar luck with your wrens!

I've got black snakes around but I have never seen them do any harm to the inhabitants of my bird boxes. Thankfully.

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and thanks for taking a moment to say hello. Please join in wherever you like ;)

Thanks for the reply! We got him out using the hook, he wasn’t harmed. We know that because we found him sunning himself on the deck railing the next day. We put up a baffle and crossed our fingers, because we didn’t see any bat activity for a couple of days, but then there they were—bat houses are still packed! So it worked out—I hope you have similar luck with your wrens!
I had one unexpected survivor!!!!! I took the snake away from my home and let it go. But one bird survived. It's parents are feeding it. But i'm now trying to figure out how to protect it. How did you do the baffles? Where I have mine is a square column on the inside of my porch. I'd love to do a bat house but haven't put the energy into it yet.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back