• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black tern? SE Romania, august 2013 (1 Viewer)

Hello,
excellent shot. Tfs!

Your bird is a juvenile/1cy Whiskered Tern. Please note:
  • although difficult to judge=wishful thinking at its best, head pattern with an extensive patch centered at the seems to fit Whiskered Tern best. Anyway I agree with you, the bird has a "Marsh Tern" head-pattern.
  • I think I can just make out the characteristic pattern on the tertials: yellowish-buff with a romboid black pattern
At least I need more pictures for confident ID, and I hope you can provide them (maybe in a larger format?)

But ID is not important here imo. What a stunning shot!

Hello,
excellent shot. Tfs!

• although difficult to judge=wishful thinking at its best, head pattern with an extensive patch centered at the seems to fit Whiskered Tern best. Anyway I agree with you, the bird has a "Marsh Tern" head-pattern.
  • I think I can just make out the characteristic pattern on the tertials: yellowish-buff with a romboid black pattern
At least I need more pictures for confident ID, and I hope you can provide them (maybe in a larger format?)

Thank you for your answer and appreciation! I will look tommorow for some other pictures

Last edited:
Hello,
excellent shot. Tfs!

Ok, so I found a picture taken just before the dive for that fish... it seems like an white-winged tern to me...

Attachments

• DSC_0578.jpg
    DSC_0578.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 72
Why?
And... after 9½ years, are you certain this is the same bird given that it's photographed from a very different angle? Was there only one such bird present?
The picture data shows that there are only 2 seconds between the pictures. I am sure that the last picture uploaded is taken just before the dive for the fish

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back