• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blackbirds (1 Viewer)

Wind1

United Kingdom
We have a pair of blackbirds which nested at the top of our garden in the hedge. A couple of evenings ago we noticed the parents going in and out of the bushes on the opposite side of the garden so assumed a baby had left the nest and was in there. We have since seen the baby a couple of times but it mostly stays hidden which is good as we have cats. Both parents have been very busy in and out feeding. We had a magpie come down at one point trying to get to the baby, the parents managed to chase it off. Our cats are being kept in as much as possible although the one that likes to spend lots of time in the garden is old now and takes absolutely no notice of any of the birds. He likes to lay under the bushes where the baby is so it's been a busy couple of days moving him out of the way as the parents understandably get very distressed when he is there. Today I think the male is trying to encourage the baby to fly. He has been sitting up in the tree calling and flapping his wings. It's so lovely to watch them, I just hope that once the baby leaves the safety of the bushes he will be ok.
DSC02085.JPG

What a lovely tale you've told of your Blackbird family. I always know when a cat is around from the Blackbirds alarm call.

You've taken a super picture of him too Wind - very well done.

Good luck to him. Hopefully you'll see him a few times till he moults out completely and looks like an adult.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back