• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blackcap? (1 Viewer)

SJholder

Hi all,
Nice to be back here.
I have been hearing this bird in the trees behind our block of flat for over a week now. Could it be a Blackcap? I live in Berlin but there are a few parks nearby. Many thanks.

Attachments

• Bird 05.00 am 9.07.21.wav
    1.6 MB
Yes, blackcap. Of the warblers it's one I think is quite distinctive: sort of a half-way house between the melody of the willow warbler and the scratchy chaos of the extraordinarily busy little whitethroat.

Yes, blackcap. Of the warblers it's one I think is quite distinctive: sort of a half-way house between the melody of the willow warbler and the scratchy chaos of the extraordinarily busy little whitethroat.
Thank you! I can add that to my idenifications ( not many but growing:)) He has been very loud recently, esp in the morning. Thank you also for the other warbler information too. All the best

Thank you! I can add that to my idenifications ( not many but growing:)) He has been very loud recently, esp in the morning. Thank you also for the other warbler information too. All the best

No bother. I'm the same, still learning. They're all fascinating in their own way and if you haven't heard a sedge warbler yet then I hope you do soon: you'll be left scratching your head thinking how does a bird that size make such a racket!

And I still can't pick it from Garden Warbler..................:(

And I still can't pick it from Garden Warbler..................:(

A bit more melody with the blackcap I think, Andy. If you put them on a scale, I reckon from scratchy to melody you'd go: whitethroat, garden warbler, blackcap to willow warbler; and with something like an equal distance moving along that progression. I think for more inexperienced people like me bird song is an easier way to identify them than a grainy picture, at a distance and on an overcast day. I've seen pictures on here of reed warblers and whitethroats in those conditions, and I can't tell them apart, even though I see numerous whitethroats every day.

Yes a nice recording of a Blackcap. It actually sounds a bit different to the British birds i hear, regional dialect i guess.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back