• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blanford’s vs. Greater Short-toed Lark – SW desert – Mid May-Iraq (1 Viewer)

Iraq Babbler

Dear All,
We found this lark in the south-western desert (Iraq-Saudi borders) in mid May.

Regardless to common filed marks with Greater Short-toad Lark, It has distinctively red-chestnut crown with grey-steel strong bill. I never experienced such a jizz/plumage of any native/passage migrant Greater STL!

However, the possibility of this bird being Blandford’s GSL (Calandrella blanfordi) in Iraq is low, as it is restricted to SW Arabia and vagrant to Oman.

Your experienced views are highly acknowledged and appreciated.

Omar

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_1666.JPG
    IMG_1666.JPG
    103.4 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_1665.JPG
    IMG_1665.JPG
    136.1 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_1674.JPG
    IMG_1674.JPG
    288.7 KB · Views: 94
Having been watching many GST Larks closely these last days, albeit here in the far western part of the range, all I can say is; if the bird in your photo appeared amongst them I would immediately think - what's that! - The bill on your bird is very large indeed compared to our birds. I realise your bird seems to show missing/displaced lore feathers but even so the bill is large and as you say, strangely cold in colour.

Having been watching many GST Larks closely these last days, albeit here in the far western part of the range, all I can say is; if the bird in your photo appeared amongst them I would immediately think - what's that! - The bill on your bird is very large indeed compared to our birds. I realise your bird seems to show missing/displaced lore feathers but even so the bill is large and as you say, strangely cold in colour.

Even allowing for the damage/missing feathers around the bill base I'd suggest the bill is deformed?

Too big for Blanford's as well?

http://ibc.lynxeds.com/photo/blanford039s-lark-calandrella-blanfordi/ground

And the bird is very heavily worn which doesn't help.

Grahame

Last edited:
Even allowing for the damage/missing feathers around the bill base I'd suggest the bill is deformed?

Too big for Blanford's as well?

http://ibc.lynxeds.com/photo/blanford039s-lark-calandrella-blanfordi/ground

And the bird is very heavily worn which doesn't help.

Grahame

That reason of deformed bill is considered as well; it is rather wrong for any GSL taxa, but the field points are the redish color of the crown and greyish (lacking yellowish wash) bill.

The suggetion was made is a possibly wondering bird in May existing in extrem hot weather which led to such defect in bill and plumage.

Native GSLs in iraq are totally different in both plumage and bill! So I raised the thread.

Omar

Not sure the bill is damaged, isn't it just missing the feathers around the base of the bill, making the bill appear larger?

Not sure the bill is damaged, isn't it just missing the feathers around the base of the bill, making the bill appear larger?

I was making the point that the bill appears wrong for BOTH species and IMO is in all likelihood deformed. Look at the tip....the lower mandible falls well short and the culmen seems very curved distally and extends beyond the lower.

That said, Omar makes a good point re the crown and bill colour which look wrong for GSTL. I have no experience of Blanford's.

The only image I could find of eremica from Saudi Arabia; does appear larger/longer billed than the nominate.

http://www.birdsofsaudiarabia.com/2014/07/blanfords-short-toed-lark-azezza.html

Grahame

Last edited:
Look at the tip....the lower mandible falls well short and the culmen seems very curved distally and extends beyond the lower.

Yep, slightly; but the bare lores missing their feathers, and I think also missing nasal bristles, probably contribute more to the odd over-long appearance of the bill; normally the base of the bill would be concealed by those feathers, making it appear more compact. Base of the lower mandible also looks to have some perhaps warty growths where the first feathers should be??

I think the problem here, Omar, is that hardly anyone has experience of this species and/or this form. I found a trip report on this site with two photos of Blanford's from Yemen - attached. Is this eremica or the form found in the Horn of Africa?

Disregarding the outsized bill, i think the images are a reasonable match for your bird.

Attachments

• bandfords_lark_mg_9111.jpg
    bandfords_lark_mg_9111.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 89
  • calbla8690.jpg
    calbla8690.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 62
I think the problem here, Omar, is that hardly anyone has experience of this species and/or this form. I found a trip report on this site with two photos of Blanford's from Yemen - attached. Is this eremica or the form found in the Horn of Africa?

Disregarding the outsized bill, i think the images are a reasonable match for your bird.

Thank you Andy,

I agree with you the taxa is little known, or at least here; However, the bird in subject as illustrated in the initial pics. has distinctively "red cap" appearance and "grey-bill" features I never experienced in any GSLs. Thus, I lean toward balndfordi!

Omar

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back