• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blue tit repetitive jumping for weeks (1 Viewer)

Hi everyone,

Got a nestbox in the garden. Blue tit couple been roosting there for a good few weeks and about 10 days ago started building a nest. First 3 days they want all out and brought in a good amount of moss, enough to cover the floor but obviously not near enough for a finished nest.

At that point the female seemed to notice something in the corner of the nestbox and tried to jump towards it. It's in the corner next to the camera, maybe the camera itself? I went out to check what it could be but didn't see anything out of the ordinary. The camera itself is covered by a plate to keep it out of sight too.

It's now been a week without any progress to the nest, despite the female being in the nestbox literally all day. 75% of the time she's there, just jumping back and forth between the opening and whatever she's jumping towards in the nest box. Is this normal behaviour?

I wonder if something in the nestbox annoys her but like I said, there was nothing special visible.

Thank you

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back