• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blue Tits Replaced by Great Tits (1 Viewer)

WelshWarbler

Welsh Warbler
For the first time this year we installed a camera in our nestbox and have been watching with interest the comings and goings. In late March a pair of blue tits showed interest in the box and the female started bringing in nesting material. However her nest building was fairly slow and by the second week of April it was only half built. To my disappointment, a week or so ago the blue tits disappeared and I thought that was the end of things for this season. Then last Saturday a Great Tit started taking moss into the box and this has continued each day since. Fingers crossed they will not lose interest and raise some chicks.

I'm wondering whether the Great Tits scared the Blue Tits away (although I havent seen any skirmishes) or if it is just by chance that they found the box.

i also have a camera set up in my great tit nest box (to which a live feed can be found on my website (below)) and i agree, it is great to watch their antics.

i think it is more luck that they have found a half built nest and is easy pickings. also great tits sem to be more persistent. i had 5 eggs last year and she is currently sat on 8 this year :).

enjoy your viewing

i also have a camera set up in my great tit nest box (to which a live feed can be found on my website (below)) and i agree, it is great to watch their antics.

i think it is more luck that they have found a half built nest and is easy pickings. also great tits sem to be more persistent. i had 5 eggs last year and she is currently sat on 8 this year :).

enjoy your viewing

Nice website and live feed. No viewing for me today - technical hitch which I need to fix!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back