• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bluejay trapped in coiled wire wreath peanut feeder (4 Viewers)

Rip VW

United States
Hello, I live in southwestern Ohio and have been feeding wild birds successfully for over 20 years. However, I just encountered a unique situation. When we returned from a week's vacation, I found a dead bluejay trapped upside down in our coiled wire wreath peanut feeder high on a Wild Birds Unlimited pole with a squirrel baffle. He had entered one end of the coil and apparently could not back out. Since it had been extremely cold and snowy while we were gone, I assume he froze to death. Has anybody else ever seen this happen?

Hi Rip VW and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. What an awful thing to find when you returned home, I'm so sorry to hear about it.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Welcome to Birdforum. I hope you enjoy your visits.

What an unfortunate accident. I’ve not come across anything like it.

Hi, welcome to the forum. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group. Sorry about the Jay, I have never seen or heard of that before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back